Thursday, October 5, 2023

FDIC-Day 13-Doing ALL the Devils

We woke up to a little fog this morning, but could see it was going to be a blue-sky day, and was it ever! First time I’ve actually removed my arm warmers! 

I left at 8:00. Matt left around 8:25, his earliest start. Because he didn’t see the lighthouse yesterday, I turned off the road at Lighthouse Way to see if I could get a photo for him. I asked a woman who was getting stuff out of her car, if there was a view of the lighthouse. She said there was one from their carport. She said I could go take a photo from there. 

Still a bit of foggy-ness. 

Back on the road, I took the Walker Ln shortcut to Seven Devils Rd. The climbing starts right away. None of the climbs are super long, but they are steep. When I got to where the route becomes Beaver Hill Rd, for something different, I decided to stay on Seven Devils. The reason the route doesn’t continue on Seven Devils is because it turns to gravel. Tilmann can handle gravel well enough. Plus, I knew it was downhill because the last time, I talked to people who were going northbound, and had missed the turn from Seven Devils onto Whiskey Run. They said how hard it was going up the hill to where it went back to pavement. Anyway, I decided to give it a go. 

As you can see, it was more of a packed dirt/gravel. Quite smooth. It was a very steep downhill, but I was really enjoying it. I was thinking this is a great way to go! Then…it went back up. At least it wasn’t as long of an uphill as the downhill had been, but I saw 12% on my Garmin. There was another steep downhill followed by, you guessed it, another steep uphill. As I was going up, a garbage truck came by. I stopped to let him by. He stopped and said, “Do you want a tow?” He was joking, of course. 

Eventually the road turned back to pavement, yet there was still a third significant climb. It turns out staying on Seven Devils is 3/4 of a mile shorter, but I think it has more overall elevation gain. Still, it was a mostly fun alternative. 

As I was nearing where Whiskey Run comes back to Seven Devils, I saw Matt pull out onto the road. I was too far to yell, or catch up to him, but we had a plan to stop at Face Rock Creamery in Bandon. As I came down the hill toward Old Town Bandon, I could see Matt ahead…past the Creamery. I caught up to him out front of the Bandon Coffee Cafe and Bakery. That was fine by me. 

We both had breakfast sandwiches and various other treats. 

Next up was the Beach Loop Scenic route…

Face Rock

My imitation of Face Rock

The other rocks 

Devil’s Kitchen. Have no idea why this is called Devil’s Kitchen. 

Maybe that big rock is the kitchen table???

Back out on 101, Matt eventually got ahead of me. I chugged along, listening to music on my Bluetooth speaker. When I got to the Langlois Market (world famous hot dogs), I stopped for a break, and got something to drink. I wasn’t hungry enough for a hot dog. 

I caught up to Matt in Port Orford at the wayside. We had just a few miles to go to Humbug Mtn State Park. The ocean was beautiful! 
Such a pretty color!

Nice wide shoulder to allow gawking at the ocean. 

After 58+ miles (our longest day), we arrived at the park earlier than we have any other day…before 4:00! Olivia and Felicity are here too, and a guy who it British, but lives in Seattle. Kate said she was coming here too, but she has not arrived yet, and it is 7:30, and pretty much dark. Currently, we are outnumbered by Brits. 

Time to cook some dinner. Tomorrow we’ll get to Harris Beach in Brookings. We are going to try to get a yurt. We’ll see. I don’t care either way because the weather is awesome!





No comments: