Thursday, October 5, 2023

FDOC-Day 14-The Final Full Day of Riding

Here’s a couple of photos from Humbug Mtn I forgot to put in last night’s post. 

My campsite at the top of the H/B. 

Matt’s campsite below me. 

I got a slightly earlier start this morning. Matt thought he was way ahead, and thinking he’d only be about 10 minutes behind me. Bwahahaha…let’s face it, I’m tough to beat when it comes to packing up. Slow on the road, but getting to the road, I’m fast (well organized and efficient). 

The day started out warmer than we’ve had the whole trip. No puffy jacket needed at the start. No long finger gloves. Could have even gone without my leg warmers (took them off at Ophir Wayside).

The scenery was very nice. 






One of my favorite parts is the Old Coast Rd. 

For a chunk of it, it’s a one lane road. There are some rollers, but little to no traffic. Quite pleasant. It goes all the way to the bridge over the Rogue River into Gold Beach. 

Patterson Bridge. 

Matt still hadn’t caught up to me by Gold Beach. I looked at Google maps for a coffee-bakery. I found one at the other end of town. I made my way there, then texted Matt where I was. He showed up not long after I had gotten there. He hadn’t seen my text, but he saw my bike out front. 

After a break and refuel, we continued south for the biggest climb of the day up to Cape Sebastian. It’s not the worst climb, but it is long. And today, it was hot. 

Gotta get over that 

A Matt and Colleen selfie. 

Of course, Matt was at the top long before me, but he waited for me to arrive. 

Nearly there!

Ahhh…now that is my favorite sign!

Coming down Sebastian in the past, I have setapersonal speed record of 49.7mph. Unfortunately, Tilmann can’t seem to get that high off speed. I was only able to reach 34.9mph. 

Not too long after Sebastian, we entered the Samuel Boardman Scenic Corridor. This is the beginning of all the brown signs. Some are worthwhile, others not so much. We pulled off at Arch Rock (worthwhile).
Arch Rock. 

Then shortly after, Natural Bridges. 

Also worthwhile. The rest were nothing special. 

I arrived at Harris Beach State Park after Matt. He was already at the H/B site. We had finished our last full day of riding. 

Matt’s wife has driven down to Brookings. After showers, And setting up our camp (and talking to the several other cyclists here-Olivia and Felicity, Mike, Tate and Rochelle, and a hiker too), Darlynn came and picked us up for dinner. We had a celebratory (slightly early as we still have to ride the 8 miles to the border tomorrow) dinner at a Mexican restaurant. 

Tomorrow morning we will tag the border, then head home. 

Matt, Mike, and I. 

Our final camp. 




 



No comments: