Thursday, August 17, 2017

Aug 16--Day 65--The Siren Song of the US

I couldn't help it, I could see Michigan across the St. Clair River. I was planning to stay in Canada for one more night, but I saw the sign for the Blue Water Ferry, and Tilmann just went there! The Siren song just called us across the river!

The St. Clair River, and a ship

Must...go...to...US!!!

 

 

Today's ride ended up being nearly 70 miles. About 5.5 of those miles I will do again tomorrow. I thought I had left the Waterfront Trail behind forever. Not so. In fact, I think it goes all the way to Lake Superior. I'm not sure how it hits Lake Huron, or if it does at all. I'd have to look at a map.

 

I got just brief glimpses of Lake Erie today before I turned north at Morpeth. That's okay, I've seen enough of Lake Erie. Apparently, from the campground I was at last night, on a clear night, one can see the lights of Cleveland. 

Glimpse of Erie

 

 

Today was a bunch of straight road riding. Except that there were actually trees, I could have been in Illinois or Indiana. There were more fields of corn, beans, and peppers. I went through enough towns to stop for breaks and snacks, slowly using up my Canadian currency.

 

In Sombra, I stopped at a small store and attempted to use the rest of my money. I still have about $17. I guess that's not too bad. 

Tilmann on the ferry

USA USA!!!

 

 

One reason I took the ferry and returned to the US today was because I didn't know how early the ferry runs. I have a lot of miles to do tomorrow, so I'd like to get an early start. I figured I would just stay in a motel in Marine City. Well, there isn't one. The one that the map listed appears to be closed. My next option was to ride to Algonac State Park. It was just a couple miles further. 

 

The park is on the St. Clair River, but Highway 29 is between the park and the river. It's not a major highway, but I didn't really want to be camping along it. I have a site back by the trees. Camping cost $24.00. That's cheaper than Canada (even with the exchange rate)!

 

 

Tomorrow, I'll be riding some bike paths, and USBR 20. Although I can now use my phone, it's on 4G which is not conducive to uploading blog posts. It'll have to wait...

 

No comments: