Thursday, August 24, 2017

Aug 24--Day 73--A Little Bit Chilly

This might have been the coldest morning I've had at 56 degrees. And it stayed cooler for quite awhile. 

 

As I suspected, I woke up a little before 6:00. That's a little before 7:00 Eastern time, but now I'm back on Central time. Since I was in the hotel, I didn't have much packing to do. I was on the road by 7:00.

 

So far, Wisconsin is mostly rolling hills. The smell of dairy farms is in the air most of the time. It's not the most pleasant smell, but it's better than some smells I've encountered. This is Land O Lakes butter country. 

The rolling hills of Wisconsin

 

 

There are lots of corn fields, but they seem to be primarily feed corn (which makes sense). I did see a couple of fields of Milo being grown for Kaytee (the bird seed company). It looks like this.

Milo

 

 

I also saw a couple of fields with herons in them. I'm used to seeing those long legged birds in the water. Here's a photo.

Herons and Canada geese

 

 

The only town with any services was near the end of my day. I came into Wrightstown around noon. I was hoping for a Subway. I need to check off a Wisconsin Subway. I came to a pizza place. While I was waiting for my food, I turned on my phone to have a look at Google maps because the route narrative was wrong. Whaddya know, there was a Subway just across the bridge! 

 

After my salad and cheesy garlic bread (it was good, even though it wasn't Subway), I rode across the bridge (part of my route) and stopped for cookies at the Subway. 

Wisconsin Subway--Check!

 

 

The reason the route narrative was wrong was because the bridge is new. It was a little confusing at first because, in addition to the new bridge (and the approach to it), there is a new roundabout. I figured it out. I've written a note about what the map narrative should say, and I'll send it to Adventure Cycling when I get back to Minneapolis.

 

I'm at one of the nicest campgrounds I've stayed in for a ridiculously low price of $10.50. They have a pool and laundry. While I didn't go swimming (it's just not that warm), I did do full-scale laundry. I haven't washed everything since Lorraine and Doug's place in Lincoln, Ontario. It was time.

 

The only downside to this campground is that it is rather close to a busy highway, therefore somewhat noisy. Yeah, who cares!

 

 

I hope it's a little warmer tomorrow. If not, I might have to dig out my leg warmers!

Wisconsin barn

 

No comments: