Saturday, August 19, 2017

Aug 19--Day 68--The Long Way to Lake Huron

Well, my free campsite was very well lit last night. I woke up because I could hear people. It seemed so light that I thought it must be morning. I looked at my clock, it was 2:30! I guess Friday night in Otter Lake is pretty wild! Also, I'm not positive, but I think someone messed with my bike. It was locked to the fence, but somehow my little thermarest seat pad that I use to sit at picnic tables when they're wet, was on the ground (I keep it in the outside pocket of a rear pannier), and the buckle to the pocket was undone. I rarely unbuckle those buckles, so...

 

Today's ride involved three bike paths. The first one, right out of Otter Lake was the Southern Line Trail. I was on it about 6 miles to Millington. It was a nice trail.

Bridge on the Southern Line Trail

Just out of Millington I saw a sign that said Bay City was 30 miles away. That was via Hwy 15. That would make a 37 mile day. But, that was not what the route did. The route went north to Vassar, then hairpinned and went southwest to Frankenmuth. 

 

As I was riding along Hwy 15 to Vassar, I saw a sign that pointed left to Frankenmuth. That would have saved me about 10 miles, I think. But no, that's not what the route did. I told myself there must be a good reason the route went to Vassar, then to Frankenmuth before turning back northwest to Bay City. I think the Hwy 15 option would have ended up being a pretty busy highway coming into Bay City. The shortcut to Frankenmuth, however, seemed like it would have been no different than the roads I was on. Oh well, what's another 58 mile day?

 

Frankenmuth reminded me of Leavenworth, WA. Everything is Bavarian themed. Even this covered bridge. Notice it's not that old--built in 1979. Being Saturday, the town was pretty busy.

Covered bridge in Frankenmuth

 

 

Frankenmuth was the last town before Bay City. It was a pretty long stretch between the two. I got on the second bike path. This one, had I stayed on it to the end, looked like it came to within a few miles of the outskirts of Saginaw. I was only on it for four miles.

This trail was more out in the open

 

 

The last trail was the Bay City Loop Trail. This came into the city, and crossed the Saginaw River.

Saginaw Riverwalk path

I rode along the river for awhile, then turned inland before reaching Lake Huron and the mouth of the river. The path was a bit funky. At one point it narrowed down to a sidewalk, and was rough going. There were so many street crossings that made progress very slow.

So many street crossings

Early on I stopped at a kid-run Trail side lemonade stand. I think this is my fourth on this trip. The two girls were selling lemonade for .10/cup, and cupcakes for .15/cupcake. They had blueberry and chocolate cupcakes. I gave them a dollar and had a cup of lemonade and a chocolate cupcake. I told them they really needed to raise their prices. They said they were raising money for one of the girl's mom. She has stomach cancer. That sucks!

 

I followed the Bay City Trail all the way to the State Park. I was a little nervous about them having a spot, but they did. It's a pretty big campground. The Day Use area has a Splash park, numerous picnic shelters, and a Visitor's Center. I was able to get a Lake Huron postcard for Grayson. 

 

The beach was closed for swimming due to e. Coli, but I wasn't going swimming anyway. The park is on Saginaw Bay. Here's some historical info.

Saginaw Bay info

My third Great Lake--Huron

 

 

 

Shells on the beach

Today the wind was blowing, but it seemed like it wasn't as bad as yesterday. Plus it was a sunnier day, so that helps.

Pretty flower outside the Visitor Center

 

No comments: