Monday, August 14, 2017

Aug 13--Day 62--Just Might Have Met a New Touring Partner

Today's ride continued along Lake Erie. I rode 58 miles from Long Beach to Port Ryerse. The sun was shining, and the wind wasn't too bad until the afternoon. Okay, that was the ride, now for the best parts of the day.

Wind turbines

 

 

The first person I met was Brian from the same bike club as my Warmshowers host, Lorraine. He was out for a long ride today. He is a self-professed bike aficionado. He was quite interested in Tilmann. We rode together for awhile, then he wanted to take my picture. We stopped, and I took his picture too. Since he was doing a big ride, he needed to ride faster than touring pace, so we said our goodbyes.

Brian

 

 

Not long after Brian, I saw another touring cyclist coming toward me. I crossed over as there was more room on that side of the road. Lo and behold, it was a woman! Sarah, from Scotland, is just the third solo female I've met on this trip. She started in Seattle, and was finishing in Toronto before flying back to Scotland. During our too brief conversation, we found we have a lot in common touring-wise. We both like camping, and then the occasional Warmshower stay. We were doing a similar distance each day. We both want to do SE Asia, and we'd both prefer to do it with someone. Her next tour will be Toronto to Nova Scotia. My next tour will be Australia. After that, maybe SE Asia. Sarah said the same. So, we exchanged email addresses so we can keep in touch. Who knows, I may have just found a perfect touring companion!

Sarah and I

 

 

While Sarah and I were talking, another touring cyclist, going my direction (but much faster) came toward us. I think he was just going to ride by, but Sarah asked him where he was going. He stopped and came over. He was doing a much shorter tour than Sarah and I. We didn't catch his name, but he sounded maybe Polish. Funny thing, he took off, but later I saw him coming back. I don't know why.

Possibly Polish guy

 

 

With Sarah and I both having miles to do, we reluctantly said our goodbyes. I really do hope we can meet again and tour together.

 

As I was heading toward Selkirk (and some lunch), another road cyclist rode up beside me. This one was Pete. He gets out for rides most every Sunday. He goes about 60 Km. Before he turned off, he told me the Sunflower Cafe in Selkirk had great food, so I went there and had breakfast for lunch. 

 

While I was waiting for a table, it looked like the next available was a 4-top. A couple came in behind me. Since I had already been waiting for awhile, I felt bad taking a 4-top by myself. I asked if they would like to share the table with me, but they said they were waiting for another person. So, I had the table to myself. Turns out another table became available quickly.

 

I made it to Norfolk campground around 3:30. I walked over to the lake. There I met a couple from Newfoundland. I asked the guy if he knew what was across the lake. He had no idea. I think it is Erie, PA. I talked to the gal for awhile. She said I should really come to Newfoundland. Of course I want to go there! I'll add it to the list, maybe after Asia.

Erie, PA?

 

 

 

Since I miscalculated the distance, I am considerably farther than I had planned today. Tomorrow I may end up a full day ahead. Believe it or not, that means, barring no days off or unscheduled delays, I will arrive back in Minneapolis on Sept 1st! That's a full two days before Grayson's birthday! That's just crazy!!!

No comments: