Monday, August 21, 2017

Aug 21--Day 70--A Total Eclipse on My Bike

Okay, not really a total eclipse, since I'm in Michigan, but the eclipse did happen, and I was on my bike.

 

I wonder if the impending eclipse had something to do with the craziness of the people last night? I don't think they were in the campground I was in, but just down the road. They were yelling and screaming well into the wee hours of the morning! It took me forever to go to sleep. Consequently, I slept until almost 7:00 this morning. I was on the road by 8:00.

 

The terrain has definitely changed. More rolling hills, less fields, more trees.

A nice morning for a bike ride

It was a pleasant ride. There weren't many towns today. I stopped in Leroy at a bait shop to get a Coke. There was supposed to be a grocery store (probably a Dollar General), but I didn't see it. I also stopped at the post office and mailed another postcard (from Lake Huron) to Grayson. I saw there was a bike trail, but later down the road I could see it went the wrong direction for me.

 

I stopped in Luther for a snack and more to drink. The eclipse was just getting started. A guy was running around with a welder's mask letting everyone look through it. I looked and saw a sliver of the moon covering the sun. Then some clouds rolled in. In the little grocery store, the gal had the tv on and was watching the eclipse (they were in Madras, OR). I remember going to Wasco, OR in 1979 to watch the eclipse. It was winter because I remember it was pretty cold. We were at the wheat ranch where my mom grew up. It was cool to see. So, even though I didn't get to see the total eclipse, I have seen one before. 

Eyeing the eclipse through a welder's mask

 

 

I have come to the end of the Lake Erie Connector Route. It was 505 miles, and I did all but 9 miles (Fort Erie to Port Colborne). It was a pretty good route, definitely a good route for those doing Northern Tier who want to skip the Corn and Soybean states! 

End of the Lake Erie Connector--the circled tent symbol is where I'm staying tonight

 

 

 

Tomorrow I start the North Lakes Route. Tonight, I'm at a Forest Service campground called Old Grade. Since it's Monday, I have the entire park to myself. Unfortunately, I happened to arrive as the park managers (who are not staying here) were cleaning things up. If I had arrived an hour or so later, I would have had a free night of camping. It's just $16, but there are no showers, and just vault toilets. The gal told me since I was all alone, she'd let the sheriff know I was here. I told her I wasn't worried about being here alone. She was concerned because, well you know, I'm a vulnerable female and all. She wouldn't worry if I was a guy. I thought it was funny. She was just being nice (if not a little sexist). So, while I'm not worried for my safety, it will be a boring night. How early can I go into my tent???

No comments: