Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mother Nature's Brakes...

That would be the wind.

Today is Day 5. I'm going from Idyllwild to Yucaipa Regional Park. Right now I'm in a Starbucks (just posted a bunch of pictures from the last 3 days) in Banning taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi.

When I left Idyllwild this morning, I had about 4 more miles of climbing left from yesterday. The arm warmers and vest were off in the first mile. When I got to the top, I put them back on for a nice descent. Then I started climbing again, so off they came. Then back on. Finally, I just shoved the warmers down and unzipped the vest until the final long downhill out of the San Bernadino mountains and into Banning. Coming out of the mountains the wind was blowing hard enough that I didn't need to brake. In fact, sometimes I pedaled. At times the descent was pretty steep, but thanks to Mother Nature's brakes, I stayed pretty stable. I don't think I even hit 40mph.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature's brakes work when you don't want them to. Like when you are trying to go along the flat.

I'll post a few more pics, then get back on the road to Yucaipa.

No comments: