Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Apr 29: From One Lake to Another

Last night I had to wear my earplugs again because of the...birds! Yes, they do like to talk loudly throughout the night. Then, at 6:00AM it got really loud as they all flew off to...I don’t know...work, I guess. 

I got a little later start than the last two days, but I wasn’t too worried as I had less to go today...or so I thought. Nope, today was another 90+km day. I left the lake saying goodbye to the pelicans.

Goodbye pelicans!

I had a few easy hills to break the monotony of a whole lotta nothin’, scenery wise. Once I made the turn to head to Strathalbyn, things were briefly interesting as I came to a ferry to cross the Murray River.

Waiting for the ferry to unload.

Crossing the river.

It’s a free ferry that runs 24 hours a day. The town of Wellington was on the other side. I stopped for a break and something to drink. 

Once out of Wellington, the scenery returned to wide open spaces.


I was riding along when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but another cyclist heading my way. Horst is a German guy who has been traveling for 2 1/2 years. He came to Darwin from Bali. He also did the Munda Biddi, and highly recommended it. He also said the Nullarbor was not as “empty” as he thought it would be. He had no trouble getting water. 

Horst.

A short while after leaving Horst, I was riding along when a kangaroo came bounding toward me. It slammed on the brakes when it saw me, then bounded across the road. I couldn’t get a photo. That was the only roo I saw today (but at least it was one!). 

On my map there was an alternative road (read, quieter road) through Milang instead of going to Strathalbyn. Milang is on Lake Alexandrina, which is actually right next to Lake Albert, where I was last night. Too bad there wasn’t an easier way to get here. As the crow flies, I’m probably only 40km from Meningie. It will be the same distance to Victor Harbor tomorrow, but on a less busy road (for part of it, anyway). Then, there is a cyclepath from Goolwa to Victor Harbor. Should be a much shorter day.





No comments: