Thursday, May 10, 2018

May 11: Things That Amuse Me Whilst Riding Amongst Fields of Stubble

I must admit, today was not such an exciting day. However, I did see two kangaroos (Were they the same ones as yesterday??? Probably not.), so that’s a plus. This part of the Eyre Peninsula is still mostly grain fields, and because it is going into winter, they’re all stubble. 

I was excited to actually have a town to go through today instead of just going from one town to the next. I was even so hopeful as to think there might be a bakery in Rudall. Sadly, no. There was nothing but some grain silos and a few houses. Oh well, it was something different to look at for a brief moment as I cruised through. 

There was one roadside rest stop along the way which I, of course, pulled into. I’ve noticed these signs in many of the rest stops. Must be an attempt to educate drivers, albeit in an unusual place as there are no crossings nearby.

But...there are no trains around? Just reading material, I guess.

By far my biggest amusement for the day was watching how long a fly could ride on my handlebar bag. It hung out there so long that I named him Jeff (you know...Jeff Goldblum...not any of my Jeff friends). He started out in a good protected spot in the middle of the lid behind the map case. Then when the road curved to the left, and into the wind a bit more, his wings started to flutter, and he moved a bit toward the right edge. Then the road curved back out of the direct wind and he settled down. As we continued our journey down the road, I wondered if he knew he was getting further and further away from home (do flies have homes???). Perhaps he was on holiday? Anyway, he kept hanging on for about 5kms or so. Every once in awhile the wind would catch his wings and he would hunker down to stay on. He was inching ever closer to the edge, and I told him so. A vehicle was coming toward us, and when it passed, I waved. When I looked down to see if Jeff was still there, he was gone. I hope he likes where he ended up. Maybe he’ll settle down in a new home, or maybe he’ll hitch a ride back the other way...

I rolled into the whopping metropolis of Lock around 1:00. I know that seems early, but the next town is 91kms away, and I had gone 75, so here I stay. I cruised the town after seeing where the caravan park was located. On the sign for the park it said to pay at the Post Office. I headed over there and the lady asked me if I had a Concession. A Concession is a reduced rate for senior citizens. I told her I wasn’t from Australia. She asked my age and said she would give me the Concession rate ($10.00 vs $12.00). I thought that was nice of her.

The Lock Caravan Park also has limited amenities (as in, no kitchen—they always have hot showers and laundry). I may find something to eat tonight as there isn’t much shelter to cook out of the wind. 

I am, again, at the library. This library has some fun artwork out front.

Nice and colorful!

Also, yesterday, I took this photo of one of the school buses. They look more like coach buses. Nice way to ride to school!
They are not always yellow. Sometimes they are white.


Here’s my campsite for tonight. I have the entire place to myself (so far). It’s just across from the grain silos.





1 comment:

Cheryl M said...

I liked the fly. I think he just wanted to hitch a ride. He didn't want to fly by plane and thought by ground was more exciting and touristy. He I'm sure enjoyed the company he was with. With you along the way.