Wednesday, May 9, 2018

May 9 and 10

May 9: My Butt is Tired!


Today was the longest day so far at 104km. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t think 104km was all that terrible, and today wasn’t terrible, but it’s when there is nothing to stop for (except those times when I just have to take a break). It’s kind of like going out for a ride at home. I just do the ride, then I’m done. Nothing special to do along the way. I also think the fact that I’m not wearing padded bike shorts is limiting my seat tolerance. Although, 6:42 of ride time is more than enough, even with bike shorts!


To back up a bit, I had a very nice evening chatting with my neighbors, Graham (or is it Graeme?), Christine, John, and Karen. They are from Queensland, and are touring in their caravans. Karen even made me a mug of hot chocolate! 


I wanted an early start this morning because I knew I had the long distance to go. I left shortly after 7:30. One advantage to starting earlier is that I get about an hour before the traffic (and trucks) starts to pick up. It’s quite quiet for that first hour. Although, the trucks weren’t very numerous today.


I pulled in to every rest stop to take a short break and eat something. The last one was pretty nasty with flies. I took out a granola bar, and ate it while I was riding.


The terrain was pretty good today. Lots of rollers which kept me happy with the downhills. At least I feel like I’m making good progress when I have periods of time where I can get over 20km/hour.


Today the emus won the spotting game at 6 (including a couple of juveniles). Kangaroos and Foxes tied at 1 each (although, if one were to count the dead kangaroos, the number would be much higher). I had just passed a sign with a picture of an emu when I glanced over and saw six of them hightailing it away. I wasn’t able to get a photo. Later, I had just passed a big dead kangaroo, when I saw a big grey boinging along. It was very fast. Again, no photo. As for the fox, I had stopped to take a little jellybean break and the fox went loping across the road a little ways in front of me. Alas, no photo there either.


After spending the last 15km or so seeming to do more standing up to pedal (to get my butt off the saddle) than sitting down, I rolled into Cowell. It’s not a big town, but it seems to have all the necessary things. There are two pubs/restaurants. 


At the caravan park, the lady gave me an unpowered site, but said I could set up in the recreation area where there is more shelter. According to the weather report, big wind is a comin’! It’s projected to start tonight and blow all day tomorrow—45 to 60kms/hour from the south/southwest. If that does indeed happen, I’m staying put tomorrow. There is no use trying to ride as I am heading south. It’s possible I could get stuck here for 3 nights. Hopefully, it will blow itself out tomorrow. 


Well, look, another straight road!

May 10: Changing My Route


Last night I was pondering what to do in light of the weather, mainly the wind. Continuing toward Port Lincoln was going to be an exercise in agony as I would be going directly into the heavy wind. I thought I would stay in Cowell. That would have been okay except the wind is not going to change much over the next few days. In fact, rain was going to join the party too. So, what to do...


This morning, I looked at my map and saw I could cut directly across the peninsula. It’s called the Birds Eye Highway. Cleve was just 42km from Cowell. Even with a strong crosswind, I could manage 42km. Plus, it looked to be a pretty quiet road. By the time I made my decision to give up on Port Lincoln, and packed up, it was 9:45. The wind was blowing pretty good.


I had a brief thought of changing my mind and going to Arno Bay (on the way to Port Lincoln). But when the road came around the corner, and headed directly south (just before I turned west on the Birds Eye Hwy), and I was blasted by the wind, I knew I had made the right decision. 


It wasn’t an easy ride to Cleve. It was still very windy, but the road headed up into the hills, and was somewhat protected at times. I really didn’t mind going up the hills. It’s much better going slow going up, than going slow on the flat. And, of course, I also got to come down some too. My mood was much better than the day into Port Augusta. It really is all a mental game. Today I knew I would be going slow (it helped that it was only 42km), and I was okay with that. 


I was just about to give up on there being any wildlife spotting game today, but just 10km out of Cleve, two kangaroos went hopping across the road. They tried to pad their numbers by hopping back across the road a few meters later, but they didn’t fool me. I could tell they were the same ones. Besides, they won by forfeit as no other wildlife showed up to be counted. If sheep were allowed to play, they would win easily.


The caravan park here in Cleve is pretty limited. I’m not sure there is a kitchen, but there are toilets and showers. It’s connected to the Birds Eye Roadhouse, so if I don’t want to cook I don’t have to.


Rainbow this morning in Cowell

Abandoned house in the hills

A little art to go with my tent

Buzz, my neighbor

Get it? (Birdseye Roadhouse)






No comments: