Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Apr 30: The Sly Kangaroo Route

Today was a relatively short day compared to the last few days. On my way into Goolwa, I saw two kangaroos! Goolwa was just a stop on my way to Victor Harbor. I rolled in around 10:30, just in time for a mid-morning bakery stop. There was a nice one where I had a blueberry pastry thing. It was delicious. 

I stopped at the Info Center to find out where the bike path to Victor Harbor started. There was another touring bike there, but no rider. The bike was locked up, so I imagine the cyclist was off exploring the town. I got on the Encounter Bikeway. It was very well signed using dedicated paths as well as residential streets.






It was a bit of a sly dog...I mean kangaroo route, winding around quite a bit. It did spend some time along the coast which was beautiful.

Victor Harbor in the distance.

After around 16km, I rolled into Victor Harbor. It’s similar to Goolwa, but larger. There is a horse drawn tram that goes over to an island. One can also walk over. There was construction going on, so I didn’t see the point in going across. But, here’s a photo.

A very slow ride.

I found a caravan park that is right on the Bikeway. It was time for some laundry, so I took care of that after showering. Once the chores were done, I walked back into town for some dinner. I had one of the best dinners I’ve had since I left Melbourne. It was a grilled chicken with avocado, feta, chick peas, greens, and a balsamic dressing. I know it doesn’t seem like all that special, but it was really good! The garlic bread was an added bonus.

I walked back to my campsite with the sun having already set.

Day is done...gone the sun...

So, I had a plan to go to Kangaroo Island. I’ve decided not to go. To really do justice, and justify the expensive ferry ride, I would need to spend at least 4 days on the island (it’s a big island). The weather, while looking good for the next two days, is not looking good by Thursday. I think I can get to Adelaide before the rain comes. So, tomorrow, I’ll begin heading to Adelaide. 





No comments: