Friday, July 9, 2021

OBC-Day 2 Jana’s Day of Lost and Found

This morning we got up at 5:00. We were packed up and rolling at 6:50. Mostly we wanted to beat the heat. Little did we know we would need nearly the entire day to make it to Alvord Hot Springs. 

I said to Jana…the good news is we are on the route. The bad news is this is the route. 

We had the rest of the climb to do from yesterday, plus we had to find water, as we had dry camped the night before. We found a great spring/creek, but it was off the route, and we had to walk aways to it. It took about 1 1/2 hours to hike down, filter about 8 liters each, hike back up, and secure the water to our bikes. It was not easy!

Jana through the bushes filtering water. 

Hiking back up to the bikes. 

After securing water, we decided we would finish the climb, and each lunch at the top. It was a matter of ride for a bit, then push when it got to steep or rocky. With all the water weight, it was hard work riding AND pushing!

One of the many pushing sessions. 

We made it to the top, and decided to go down a bit before lunch. It was after walking down a steep rocky bit, that I realized we were off route. Jana was ahead. I checked to see if it was just one of those times where RWGPS is off, and the way we were going would bring us back to the route. Nope, we were truly headed the wrong direction. I yelled as loud as I could for Jana. Eventually she came heading back when I hadn’t shown up. As she was riding back, I walked back up to see where the turn was. Sure enough, there was a faintish double track. We pushed the bikes partway back to the route, then stopped for lunch. It was noon, and we had gone a whopping 5 miles, part of which was the wrong way!

Back on the route, we were back to pushing with bits of riding in between. Jana rode more than me. I was behind her aways, when I came upon her solar panel and the insoles to her shoes. I managed to stow them on my bike and continue on. Shortly after, Jana came walking back. I gave her her stuff. She asked if I had found the battery. I hadn’t seen it. She went back to look, but was unsuccessful. While she was looking, I was waiting at her bike. It started to rain, so I pulled out my umbrella. 

I brought it for the sun. Who knew I’d use it for rain???

The rain stopped, and we continued on. I came around a corner and saw this. 

We were headed down there. The descent was a bit scary at times. Jana stayed behind me, not wanting to miss another turn. 

Going down down down. 

We made it to where we had tried to get to last night, and took a break in the shade. When we were almost to the bottom, Jana realized she had left her gloves at the last stop. She was not going back. 

We popped out onto the wide gravel Steens Mtn Rd. From there we had 20 almost entirely straight road miles to Alvord Hot Springs. 



Some cows…

Still going. 

Couldn’t resist stopping to get this. 

We finally arrived at the hot springs, and Campground. It was nearly 5:30. That was an almost 12 hour day for a whopping 40 miles!

We both enjoyed the hot springs. It’s expensive here, and we also had to buy water, as it’s not potable, but we didn’t care. 



Our tent site ended up being by one of this picnic tables. 

We’ll be crossing the desert tomorrow. 

The “cooler” inside pool

The too hot outside pool. 

The good news is that Jana found all the things she thought she’d lost. Her gloves were in her backpack, and her battery was in one of her Crocs. The only thing that didn’t turn up was her spoon, which she thinks she left at the campsite. 








No comments: