Friday, July 9, 2021

OBC Day 9-Barn Sour Bikers

The last day of this epic bikepacking trip started at the usual 5:30, but it was unusually cold! I even pulled out my long finger gloves (in camp, not riding). By the time we were ready to go, the sun had come up over the hillside, and things were warming up. I was down to my usual riding attire before we left camp. 

MC ready to go for one last ride (in this neck of the desert). 

Our first stop was the Hart Mtn Refuge HQ to get water from a spigot. No more filtering for us!



Sadly, the Visitor Center wasn’t open yet. 


45 miles of a gravel road plus 7 miles on the highway to get us back to Frenchglen. As we left the HQ, I saw a coyote run across the road, but I could get a photo. 

The washboard was less than pleasant. 

Goodbye Hart Mtn. 

Water to the left, but only cows were near it. 

It was about 12:30 when we reached the Hwy. We had a snack before heading onto Frenchglen. I also inflated my tires for the pavement. 

Mailbox holders sometimes make good bike racks. 

The best part of the pavement was this sign. 

That was an awesome downhill. MC got up to 41mph (a lot for a plus bike with knobby tires)!

I pulled into Frenchglen at 1:15. Jana was a bit later. We had made very good time for how many miles we did. I guess we were like barn sour horses. 

The actual beginning of the route. 

MC hanging in the shade. 

Woo Hoo! Done!

Jana rolling in!

We went to the hotel for some lunch. Fortunately, Jana only wanted something to drink because they had nothing (but potato chips) that she could eat. I had a Turkey sandwich. We checked the hours at the mercantile, then headed the remaining 3 miles to the Steens Mountain Resort. 

Still have to go that way. 

This is where we started the route 9 days ago. We are definitely a bit dirtier!

Our luxurious accommodations for the night (woo hoo, no camping, also, the best shower ever!!!)

We showered, then drove back into town to get dinner and breakfast stuff for tonight and tomorrow morning. Here’s a funny sign at the mercantile. 


Here’s what much of the gravel was today. I told Jana, for all the scrubbing on the washboard roads, we should be squeaky clean!

On the final few miles back to the resort, the washboard was so bad, I had to let air out of my tires!

We’ll be heading out very early tomorrow. I’ll do a wrap up post when I get home. Oh, and the air is very smoke filled here. It’s a fire in Medford. Glad we’re not sleeping in our tents tonight!















No comments: