Friday, November 24, 2023

11/23-Thanksgiving Part 2-Gravel!

When we got off the ferry we got our first taste of Patagonian gravel. It seems that they are working on the road. I don’t know if they are getting ready to pave it, or just fixing it. The road alternated between easy firm gravel, to almost sandy, to chunky rock. We had a 6km climb. There was one section that was very steep. I managed to ride it, but just barely. It was probably about 12% (I don’t know for sure because I couldn’t look at my Garmin). Matt, Alex, and Markus called me a beast, but really, it’s just good gearing (and being used to climbing steep stuff at home).

Gravel!



The steep part. 

There is a lot of water. 

We made it to a campground, but it is closed. That just means we stay for free! 


It’s kind of like fancy wild camping. The sites are very nice, with each one having a little shelter with a picnic table, but the water is off in the restroom, so the only way to use the toilet is to fill up the tank with river water (but the toilets are less than pristine…I think I’ll be digging a cat hole). Because the water is off, we also have to filter water from the river. 

Heading into the campsite. 

My tent in the sun!

All of us (except the Argentinian) are here. Matt, Edgar and Charlotte (Swiss), Jerome (Brazil), Laura(?) from Spain, Alex, Markus and I. Laura seems to have rather limited bike touring experience. Matt and Jerome fixed her bike for her. 

Tomorrow morning we are going to do a little hike to a waterfall. Then we will head to Chaitan. The weather is supposed to continue to be good. 


No comments: