Friday, September 27, 2024

Not NW/WWF-Day 21-Back to Cable!

Before I write anything about today, I have to correct an error. I mistakenly called Doug (one of our Warmshowers hosts) Scott. I do not know where I got that from! So, Doug, I apologize for getting your name wrong!

Onto today…
The reason the title of this post is”Not NW/WWF” is because we did not do any of the route (except maybe a couple of 10ths of a mile at the very beginning). No, we plotted our own route from Port Wing to Cable. It was all paved (except the last bit to our hosts’ house). It made for some fast miles…and not a lot of photos. 

The first 15ish miles were on County Rd A through farmland. 

Barns and such. 

A lot of sun. It was warming up quickly. 

At Iron River, we stopped for a cold drink and a snack (me). We had a couple of options, route wise…the car way, or the bike way. Strangely, the bike way stayed on CR A. The car Way went through a bunch of lakes to Delta, then on a quiet road to Hwy 63. We opted for the lake route. 

Just one of many lakes. 

Once we got to Hwy 63, we were on a much busier road, but with a good shoulder. It was about 6 or so miles to Cable. Near Drummond, we passed this billboard. 

The guy on the right is Doug! 

We made a stop in Cable for a drink and a snack.


 I hadn’t eaten anything since Iron River, so I was pretty hungry. Then we rode the last 5 miles back to our hosts’ lovely house. They were out kayaking, but the house was open. We got all the bags off the bikes and stowed the stuff we didn’t need for tonight in the car. Lani did all the chores she needed to do so that she will just be able to drop me off in Minneapolis tomorrow morning. I will do everything when I get to Minneapolis, and the kids’ house. 

We rode 52 miles with about 2100 feet of elevation (short ups and downs). I’m glad we didn’t have to do any of the sand on the route. The pavement was just fine!

The town of Cable is hopping this weekend. There is a big trail running event called the Birkies. Therese, Doug, Therese’s sister, Patty, and their friend, Meg are all participating tomorrow. We will get out early. 






No comments: