Friday, June 17, 2011

One Bright Spot in an Otherwise Not-So-Great Day

Sometime between packing up my stuff in my tent and pulling out the first stake of my tent, I tweaked my back. I could bend over, but I couldn't stand up straight. I'm sure I looked Ike a little old bent over lady. I figured I'd be okay riding (you know, bent over and all) and I was right. I left Grant Grove and Kings Canyon National Park. It was a mostly downhill ride and I had done 30 miles before noon. I pulled off at a park in Piedra and got off Stella. I sat down at a picnic table and fixed myself a peanutbutter, honey and banana on flatbread. After I ate, I layed down on the bench to try to stretch out my lower back. I did some cat stretches too. I had taken ibuprofen and Tylenol, but I think they were probably expired. The stretches helped a little, but I still couldn't stand up straight. I got back on Stella and rode the rest of the way through Piedra. I had to go to the bathroom so when I saw the Post Office, I decided to stop and ask if I could use the restroom. The Postmistress, Marjie, was very nice and let me use her bathroom. I told her my back was killing me and she proceeded to give me a massage! Oh my gosh! That felt good! We chatted for awhile and as I was getting ready to leave, she gave me a couple of postcards to send to her from up the road. Also, she gave me some ibuprofen. I took another 800mg and put the rest in with my jelly beans. Marjie was great and I am so glad I stopped at her post office!

I worked my way to Benson's resort at Pine Flat Lake. When I got there, back still killing me, the place looked dead. The restaurant was closed as was the store. There didn't seem to be anyplace to camp so I pushed Stella back up to the Hwy and rode back to Island Park campground. It wad a very steep hill down to the lake and park. I looked for a non-hookup site but couldn't find any. There were several sites open, but they were all electrical sites. Finally, I just chose one. I sat for a long time before I could set up my tent. I took more ibuprofen. Finally, I got my tent set up and sleeping pad inflated and laid down for awhile. Then I slowly set up the rest of my camp. I shuffled over to the restroom and took a shower. That helped my back a little. When I got back to my site, there was a note from the camphost to see her at the booth (it had been closed when I got there). I shuffled over to the booth. The gal want to charge me $30 for the site because it was a hookup site. I told her I wasn't going to use the hookup stuff and there were lots of sites available. She said I would have to move if I didn't want to pay $30. I told her my back was hurting, but that didn't change anything. She said I could move to the site just across from where I was and it would cost $20. I said I would move.

I got back to my now, former site, and began to move everything to site 19. Turns out that, yes, 19 was just across and up a BIG HILL from where I was! After I got everything moved I sat down and cried. My back was still hurting and I just had to schlepp all my stuff up a huge hill! After awhile, I started to feel a little better. I could almost stand up straight. I did more stretching that, I think, helped.

I cooked my dinner, cleaned up, took more ibuprofen and went to bed.

This morning my back is still a little stiff, but much better. I can stand up straight and walk like snorkel person.
It's on to Bass Lake. I'm in a small town called Auberry. I've had some Gatorade and ice cream and it's time to get back on the road!

1 comment:

Julie R said...

We hope you are doing better. The pain and the tiredness together must be horrible. Make sure to drink plenty of water!