Wednesday, May 5, 2021

OP Day 2-We Thought We Just Missed Each Other

Last night I went for a little walk to the Dosewallips River. 



It was pretty. 

This morning it took me a bit longer to get ready to go. It’s much faster when you just have to throw everything (well, nearly everything) into the panniers. Plus, I’m a little rusty. Still, I was on the road by 8:30. 

It was shaping up to be a nice day. 

Blue skies, snow on the mountains, and the Dosewallips River. What more could I ask for?

Not long into the day I had to do the climb up Walker Mtn. Of course, I didn’t actually go to the top, but the road climbed for a few miles. It wasn’t terrible, but I was glad when I reached the top. There’s no summit sign because, well, it’s not the top of the mountain, but there is a nice descent down the other side!

I rolled through Quilcene. If I wasn’t carrying all this food, I would have been sorely tempted to stop and have second breakfast at the cafe. 

Since I wasn’t going to Chimicum this time, I stayed on 101. I did route myself off on a couple of side roads. I’m so glad I did! First, I got to do some gravel on Leland Valley Rd. 

Very nice gravel. 

Then, I came to Leland Lake and campground. I stopped for a snack break. 



Some history. 

I also rode on a farm road (literally...Boulton Farm Rd). Eventually, I returned to 101. I just had to ride 101 for about 3 miles until I was able to pick up the Olympic Discovery Trail at Discovery Bay. 





While not entirely on a paved path, it is off 101 (except for about a 1 mile section that could easily be off 101 except that the old road is private property). The road sections were mostly Old Gardiner Rd. 

I stopped for some lunch at a trailhead parking lot. You would think there might be a picnic table. I sat on the horse step thing, and made this for my lunch. 

Tuna, avocado, apple, and curry powder in a tortilla. It was delicious and satisfying!

After lunch, I was back to riding the paved trail. At one point the trail turned to this. 

I’m guessing they’ll eventually pave this part too. 

There was a sign that said 8.9 miles to Sequim. Since I knew Sequim Bay State Park was before Sequim, I knew I didn’t have far to go. So far, I hadn’t seen my friend, Heike. She was coming from Sequim. 

I got to the park pretty early even though it was just under 40 miles. I went up to pay. Afterward, I sent Heike a message to tell her where I was. Back at my campsite (in view of the trail, so I could see Heike if she walked by), I talked to a woman from Port Angeles. Her name was Sharon. She was very nice. She had a red pit bull named Hank. He saw this, and REALLY wanted to give chase. 

Ya wanna a piece of me??? Good luck!

Later, after they left, and the squirrel gave up trying to get food from me, I got this. 

Fine! I’ll just eat this here pinecone. 

I kept watching the trail for any sign of Heike. Then I thought to try and call her through WhatsApp. She answered! Unfortunately, she said she had passed through the park about 30 minutes ago. I must have missed her when I went to pay. She said she would call me back when she could think of what she wanted to do. 

A couple hours later, she called me back. Turns out she is still in Sequim (at another host’s house)! Also, she thought I was already through Sequim! So, we’ve made a plan that we will see each other on the trail tomorrow morning! We’ll both leave our respective campsite/host around 8:30. I told her if I get to the outskirts of Sequim, and haven’t seen her, I’ll give her a call. Whew! I thought I wasn’t going to get to see her! And if, for some reason I haven’t left my campsite, I will be able to see her. 

That’s the trail behind my tent. 









1 comment:

Dan said...

Just an FYI, I picked up an AMAZING Cinnamon Roll at that Quilcene 101 Brew/Cafe on a ride thru in late March. I won't be able to ride past it again without a stop.