Sunday, May 9, 2021

OP Day 6-Back to the Location of My Very First Night of My First Solo Tour

I think it was something like 2009 when, over Labor Day weekend, I went on my first solo tour (2 nights/3days). Tonight, I stay in the same campsite at Lake Sylvia State Park!

This time, though, I’m coming from the other direction. I woke up to some actual sunshine this morning! I feel like I took my time packing up (I only had 44 miles today). I even set my tent out in the sun to dry off. Yet, I was still on the road only 15 minutes later than the previous days. 

The first little burg I came to was Seabrook. I don’t think it is actually a town??? I think it is more like a resort community, or a little village. 

Next up would be Copalis Beach. 

The beach at Seabrook. 

Even though, at times I couldn’t see the ocean, I could still hear it. It was better than yesterday’s go hum riding. Of course, the sun helped. I could have gone a more straightforward route and skipped Seabrook and Copalis Beach. 

At Copalis Beach, I turned inland. Hwy 109 continues to Ocean Shores, but the part from Ocean Shores to Hoquiam is not a fun road to ride. Ocean Beach Rd. was much quieter. 

Last beach view. 

I rode through farm land, making my way back to 101. In Hoquiam, I decided I wanted Subway for lunch. I was about to give up, when I spied a Subway just another block further. After lunch, I returned to the route, which wound around neighborhood streets to where I finally had to cross on the grated bridge. I rode the grated sidewalk. 

As I came to near the end of Aberdeen, I was hoping I didn’t have to get on 12 until after the hill with the debris-filled shoulder. Unfortunately, I did. But, I think I might have been able to stay on a small paved path along the water. I could see it down below, and it came out to a road that came back to Hwy 12. Next time...

I’ve ridden on 12 many times, but this time, I got off on Central Park Dr. I’m sure it was a little longer, but it was so much nicer. 

Strange connection from Central Park to Devonshire Rd. I’ll take it!

I came into the west end of Montesano without having to return to Hwy 12 (turning left would have taken me to Wynoochee). All that was left was the climb up to Lake Sylvia State Park. 

I’m sitting in my tent doing this blog while it is raining outside. I just managed to get my tent up and everything thrown into it, before it started to rain. Weather forecast says it will stop by 6:00. That’s 2 more hours...*sigh*...


1 comment:

dmorgorg said...

Lying in a tent for a couple of hours listening to the rain is pretty therapeutic for me!