I got a later start this morning because breakfast didn’t start until 7:00. That was okay because I only had 47 miles to do today. I had breakfast with Ken and Vivian. I should see them again in a couple of days.
There was something special about this morning. Can you tell what it is?
 |
| CLOUDS!!! |
Yes, it was actually cloudy! It was also cooler and more humid. Of course, it didn’t stay cloudy, but it was nice for awhile.
I, once again, opted to not do the route, and instead just stayed on Hwy 20. Ben had sent me a photo of what the route looked like between Chadron and Hay Spring. He said there was some hike-a-bike through silty dirt. I decided that was not for me, and also, I’m kind of babying my rear tire. It has to make it another 335 miles. The hwy was fine.
 |
| This was the Museum of the Fur Trade. I can only imagine what dead animals were on display. |
It was 20 miles to Hay Spring, then I was back on the route. There wasn’t anything in Hay Spring, so I just kept going. As I was riding on the Hwy (now the route), I could see the Cowboy Trail.
 |
| It looked a bit rocky |
 |
| Indeed, it was. That’s why the route wasn’t on it. |
About 12 miles later was the town of Rushville. I stopped at the convenience store for a snack. I’d already had chocolate milk this morning, so I had other refreshments. Once I was filled up, I headed back out for the final 16 miles to Gordon.
In Rushville, the route did get on the Cowboy Trail.
I’m hoteling once again because there is no camping here. At least it’s a relatively cheap hotel (the Jefco Inn). There is no one in the office. There were two guys working on the lobby (new flooring). They told me I could either call the number on the door, or go to the website and book a room. No one answered the phone, so I went to the website. Booked a room. Check in wasn’t until 3:00 (it was 1:45). At 3:00, they text a code to the room door (turns out it’s the last four of my phone number…easy to remember). The guys were super nice, and let me into my room before 3:00. They said to just not leave until I had the code to the door. Perfect! It’s not a fancy room, but it serves the purpose.
There’s a grocery store close by. I’ll go figure out something microwaveable for dinner.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing conditions along the Cowboy Trail! It’s on my list. Really enjoying reading adventures of a fellow cyclist!
Post a Comment