There was a gratuitous gravel section that went off from 24, only to come back to it. The shoulder on 24 was fine, so I just stayed on the hwy.
I rolled into Stanton 13 miles in. I wasn’t going to stop, but there was a Casey’s. I got a chocolate milk and a donut. I was also able to get a travel sized toothpaste, and some more wipes. Casey’s has it all!
The route wiggled through the town to the next gravel section.
| The first real hill I’ve climbed in many days! |
The rain had pretty much quit. The next gravel section was more of the same.
| I just rode right down the middle! |
I’m really hoping that Iowa gravel is going to actually be gravel, not just sand with a few bits of gravel! I have to think that the rain must have made it better. At least there wasn’t any dust! Wanda handled it well. The washboard wasn’t bad most of the time.
There was a brief bit of pavement into Pilger, then it was back to another stretch of gravel.
| Germany! |
Actually, I think this area was settled by Germans. In Stanton I had gone by a church that’s name was in German.
That section of gravel popped me out onto Hwy 275. It’s definitely a busy Hwy, but the shoulder was wide, and most importantly, smooth as buttah!!! It looks like they are adding two more lanes (it will make it a divided highway.
| This went all the way through Wisner. |
In Wisner, I stopped at another convenience store for a snack. I looked at the route, and decided, since I was going to West Point (off route), I would just stay on 275 as it went to West Point directly, and I would end up not far from the park I’m camping at.
The highway became a 4 lane divided hwy, but the shoulder was still as wide and smooth. As I came into West Point, I could see that the shoulder disappeared. I looked on my phone and saw I could turn off the hwy, and take backroads to the park. I was riding down the road when I spied a bike path!
I rolled into Neligh Park (funny, I stayed in Neligh the town…) at about 1:00 after 47 miles. I found the tent camping area. Just like in Ainsworth, showers were at the pool. One annoying thing is that the restrooms are quite aways away.
I went to a restaurant in town for dinner. It was a good burger. Vivian and Ken are here in West Point too, but at a hotel near where I came into town. Might not see them for a few days, as our trajectories are a bit different for awhile. Tomorrow my plan is to stay on 275 to the town of Scribner. There I will pick up the route again, and continue making my way toward Omaha.
1 comment:
I rode 275 all the way to Fremont. I liked it except for the stretches between comfort stations. I found a porta potty next to where a new home was being built. I got off the GAWR quite a bit in western Iowa. The gravel was too tough for me. Enjoy reading your posts. It’s a nice flashback for me.
Post a Comment