Today was the day! I was going to have company on my ride! I’ve been in contact with my friend, Bethany’s, sister’s friend, Kim, since before South Dakota. She had planned to come ride with me for a bit on the Cowboy Trail. She is from Sioux Falls (about 2 hours drive from Norfolk). She would park in Norfolk, then ride toward me on the trail.
I left the Deluxe Motel at my usual time of about 6:45. Funny thing, the trail was actually just across the road from the motel (okay, a little bit of grass between the road and the trail). On the map it often looks so far away, when it really isn’t. After just a short bit on the trail, I came to the second detour. This one had a sign.
 |
| About 4 miles on the Hwy |
The route came back to the trail just as I came into Oakdale. It was early, so I didn’t need to stop. I did, however, need to stop to take this photo.
 |
| Yep! 27 miles to Norfolk! |
I arrived in Tilden at about the 14ish mile point. I texted Kim to tell her I was in Tilden, and going to grab a chocolate milk at the convenience store.
 |
| An actual trail shelter! |
She was at Mile 17 (I was between 22 and 21). I had a feeling we would meet around mile 20.
 |
| Funny dressed up posts |
 |
| Here she comes! |
We did meet up between 20 and 21! Kim turned around, and we continued to Norfolk.
The trail was still near the Elkhorn River. This was a pretty cool bridge.
 |
| Cowboy Trail complete! |
I made my way to the post office. As expected, the tire wasn’t there. The postal clerk had me fill out a forwarding mail card. When the tire comes in, it will be forwarded to my house. I also sent home my cooking gear. I kept my cup and bowl, but sent home the pot, stove, spices, long spoon, and neck knife (and the magnets from Devils Tower, Rushmore, and Crazy Horse). I’m just not cooking enough to make it worthwhile to carry.
I made my way to the bike shop. FYI, the address of the bike shop on the RWGPS route is wrong. It’s 311 W Norfolk, another block over. Kim was waiting for me with the Maxxis Aspen tire she brought from Sioux Falls. We dropped off Wanda, and Kim insisted on treating me to lunch (even though I wanted to treat her to lunch!!!) We went to a Mexican place that Jason, the bike shop guy, recommended. When we got back to the shop, Jason was still working on Wanda. Her rear brake pads were worn out. I had him put the ones I was carrying on because he didn’t have any full scintered pads in stock. Then he said the chain was right at 50% wear. Since he had a chain, I had him put a new one on. So, Wanda now has a new rear tire, new rear brake pads, and a new chain! She’s like a new woman…er…I mean…bike!
I rode to the Super 8, and Kim met me there with my stuff. I’m not sure what I would have been able to figure out with the tire if not for Kim. Plus, it was really nice getting to ride with her today! I definitely have a new friend!
 |
| Wanda’s new tire! |
 |
| Selfie time! Thank you a million times, Kim!!! |
We said our goodbyes, and I checked in to the hotel. Who should roll up just as I was finishing? Vivian and Ken! Actually, I knew they were coming here. Back together again! Of course, we will eat dinner together!
Side note: Norfolk is the hometown of Johnny Carson!
 |
| Here’s Johnny! |
No comments:
Post a Comment