As I was leaving the Super 8, a guy came out and asked if I was riding the GAWR. He was too, only westbound. He had started in DC on June 14th. I’m getting close to the halfway point. The “Westies” I’ve met have all started within a day of when I started. The guy said they were taking the day off in Valentine because it was supposed to be 100 degrees. I thought to myself, if I took a day off for every day over 100, I’d still be in Montana!
I rode over to the Valentine Trailhead for the Cowboy Trail.
| It was paved through the town. |
Another sign said 24 miles to Wood Lake. Once the trail turned to gravel, it was time for the age old game of “This side or that side”. You know the one, the other side always looks better, so you move over, but then the other side looks better! So, you zigzag your way down the trail. Like it was between Rushville and Gordon, the crushed gravel was quite thick in places.
| Better on the left…for now. |
Really, the trick was to not make any sudden turns. Wanna switch sides? Just ease over. Do, however, watch for the holes (probably some critter).
Not too far out of Valentine was this long trestle. It went over the Niobrara River.
| It was a nice view! |
Today there was a lot more water areas which might explain seeing this on the trail.
Back on the trail, the Wood Lake Trailhead sign said 10.2 miles to Johnstown. I arrived there about an hour later. I saw a shelter with picnic tables, but then I saw the L Bow Room Saloon. And it was open! Hallelujah! Since it was about 11:30, I decided lunch was a good idea. I had a BLT. The woman who owns the place gave me a “souvenir” magnet. She said the motorcycles heading to Sturgis were always asking for a souvenir. So she started having these calendar magnets made. I thought it was sweet that she gave me one.
I had been seeing these signs at all the road crossings.
| Apparently, you can’t bring Bessie on the trail. |
I rolled into Ainsworth, and headed for the East City Park. They have a little camping area (although I’m the only tent, the rest are RVs). I can’t find a sign anywhere that says if there is a fee. I would think there is, at least for the electricity hook ups for the RVs. Maybe not for just a tent.
Even though it’s pretty warm, there’s a good breeze, and I’m happy to be back in my tent. I’ve calculated the path of the sun, so hopefully my tent will remain in the shade.
Tire update: I called the bike shop that I ordered the tire from. I still hadn’t received a shipping notice. The online ordering guy, Joe, has had the tire now shipped directly from the supplier (my guess is QBP) to the Norfolk PO. What he couldn’t tell me was what shipping method they use. It has to be USPS. As a backup, my friend, Bethany’s, sister’s friend, Kim, is coming to Norfolk to ride with me on the trail for a bit. She has found a Maxxis Aspen 29x2.2”. She will bring it, and if the tire doesn’t show up at the post office, I can have the Maxxis put on instead. I’m relieved to know there is a plan.
Now, off to find the Subway!
No comments:
Post a Comment