Friday, June 21, 2019

OSBT Day 13-The Wild River Part, and a Hike to Finish

I said my goodbyes to Clement and Matthew this morning. They were going all the way to Brookings. I did change my plan, but that just meant I was going to Humbug instead of Butler Creek. 

I came back from Cape Blanco, then after a brief time on 101, headed east on Elk River Rd (aka the Wild River part of this Scenic Bikeway). I figured I’d ride to Butler Creek CG then turn around. It should have been about 22 miles from Cape Blanco. At 23 miles, I still hadn’t come to the campground, so I just turned around. 



This was a private swinging bridge for cars. I walked out to the middle, and it was swinging. I can’t imagine being in a car. 

The Elk River was really quite beautiful. Such clear green water. I suppose if I looked long enough, I could have seen some fish. 

Back on 101, I headed the few miles into Port Orford. I stopped at this colorful bakery for some lunch. 


The last few miles to Humbug Mtn. were pretty windy. Sometimes a tailwind, sometimes a cross wind. It’s a pretty section of road though. 

That’s Humbug Mtn to the left. 

Once I got my camp set up, I put on my Altras, and headed over to the Trailhead for Humbug Mtn. I hiked to the top 9 years ago, but only on the west trail. This time I did the east trail up, and the west trail down. Last time, there was no view at the top. There were too many trees. Not so now!

The mountain master???


Back at my campsite, I was preparing to go shower when Mark from Quebec came by. I haven’t seen him since Cape Lookout! Also, I was wondering if Steve would show up. Sure enough! I haven’t seen him since Cape Lookout either. 

As Steve and I were catching up, a mom and her son, who are hiking the Oregon Coast Trail, showed up. All 7 HB sites have people on them. I invited them to share my site. Rachel and Wexler (age 12) have hiked the whole Oregon Coast Trail since Ft. Stevens. Wexler is a sweet talkative kid who I thoroughly enjoyed. Rachel too, of course. I think it’s awesome that they are doing this together. She does a big adventure with him each summer. Once they finish, Rachel will return to cycling in Malaysia. 

It was a good day with 49 miles on the bike, and nearly 6 hiking. 






No comments: