Friday, June 28, 2019

OSBT Day 21-Lava Lava Everywhere

Today may have been a good day to get an earlier than usual start, but instead, I slept until 7:40, and didn’t get going until just after 8:30. 

I think I mentioned the couple I talked to as I was making my way to Chemult. They had told me a good way to get to Bend staying off  Hwy 97. I did my best to remember all they had told me. 

First up was Sunriver. Wow, what a bustling place! I stopped for a break at a Starbucks. There were lots of bikes parked!

Biking is by far the easiest way to get around Sunriver. There are bike trails everywhere! I used bike trails to make my way to Cottonwood Dr which took me to the other side of 97, and the road to Lava River Cave. 

Another advantage to being on a bike, I had no problem parking (the bike rack was empty) at Lava  River Cave. The parking lot was full, so cars just had to keep circling around until a spot opened up. Also, I didn’t have pay for a vehicle permit ($5). 

I sat through the little orientation before entering the cave. Mainly, it was about a fungus that is killing bats, and how they ask that you don’t wear any clothing into the cave that you have previously worn in another cave. And also don’t wear the clothing you wore in this cave into another cave. So far, Lava River Cave shows no signs of the fungus, but it has been found in Washington. 

I rented a lantern for $5. I’ve had experience in a cave with just my headlamp...not good. The cave is one mile long, so two miles round trip if you go to the end. Someone asked if there was anything at the end of the cave. The ranger gal said there is a magic dragon granting eternal life. Funny gal! Here’s some photos. 

Going in!

The railings were helpful

Mostly no railings though

Okay, where’s the dragon?

Don’t see it?

Where’s my eternal life!!!

I listened, but couldn’t hear any cars (okay, it is about 81 feet above).

Back to the surface. 

It took me a little over an hour to go to the end and back. It was about 42 degrees in the cave. I’d put my hoody on, but I wished I’d put my gloves on too. 

Back on the road, my next stop was the Lava Fields Visitor Center. I parked Tilmann and walked the mile plus trail through the lave field at the base of Lava Butte, a cinder cone that when it erupted many moons ago, created the Lava field. Here’s some photos of the above ground lava. 

Lava Butte (if I’d had the time, I would have ridden up there)

“Lava Ness Monster” (or maybe it’s that dragon?)

Mt. Bachelor

Pano of Bachelor, Tumalo, Broken Top, and the Three Sisters

Cool lava swirl pattern

A lone tree amongst the lava...oh, and Mt. Bachelor. 

When I got back to the Visitor Center, I asked about the bike path to Benham Falls, and then on into Bend. There were a couple of options. I chose the paved path option. Well, it was paved until the trail to the Falls. But then it was gravel, so no problem for Tilmann. And now for a couple photos from Benham Falls. 



This is still the Deschutes River. 

At the Falls, the trail became a more technical mountain bike trail. Tilmann wasn’t too thrilled, so I took the gravel road instead. That road took me to a paved road that went out to the Cascade Lakes Hwy. along the way, I passed the turn for Dillon Falls. I really wanted to go there, but it was getting late, and I still had another 17 miles to go, plus needing to resupply food in Bend before going on to Tumalo State Park. 

I hopped on another Bike path (I think it was the Rimrock Trail) for awhile, but then got back on the road. Once I had my groceries, I headed for Tumalo State Park. I arrived about 5:45. It was just under 48 miles, but a long day. I’m really glad Tumalo has a hiker/biker site because the park is full up tonight. 




No comments: