Sunday, June 23, 2019

OSBT Day 16-Out of the Redwoods, and Into the Pine Trees

I left Grassy Flat before 7:30 this morning. Even though I figured the day wouldn’t be too long mileage wise, I wanted to beat the heat, and at least some of the traffic. Steve and I made a plan to meet at Lake Selmac.

The road continued to climb, following the Middle Fork of the Smith River. There was oftentimes a bit of a headwind. The road and river were all shaded, so I didn’t stop for any photos (besides, I took enough photos of the river yesterday). 

The summit was supposed to be at 2100ft according to the map. Fortunately, they built a tunnel, so I think it was only about 1800. And, amazingly enough, it was a downhill tunnel! There was a button to push to alert drivers that a bicycle was in the tunnel. 

From the tunnel, it was pretty much downhill to the California/Oregon border. 


Not far back into Oregon, I could see a hitchhiker up ahead. At least, I thought it was a hitchhiker. Upon closer inspection, it was this.


Not a hitchhiker. 

Four miles later I rolled into the tiny town of O’Brien. There I stopped for a break and a snack. I might have pushed on had I known it was only 5 more miles to Cave Junction. 

In Cave Junction I stopped at a Dairy Queen. Little did I know, there was a Subway just a little further down the road! 

In Cave Junction, I was able to look up exactly what the park was on Lake Selmac (there are two, one is a resort, and one is a county park). Then I was able to text Steve with the info. 

There was another climb, but I turned off the highway just before. I figured I’d have to climb somewhere, but on Reeves Creek Rd., it just ended up being a relatively short, but quite steep, two hump hill. I was out of the saddle in my easiest gear. Tomorrow we will continue on this road, and get back to the route on the other side of the summit. 

Yesterday, I was talking to Steve, and he was asking about what I write in my blog. As I was telling him, it suddenly occurred to me that I had forgotten to bring Flat Will on this tour! Instead, I have “Robert Redwood”. He hangs from my handlebar bag and gives be encouragement when the hills get steep.


Looks like he’s saying, “Go!”

So, I found a campsite at Lake Selmac, went swimming in the lake (again, a night with no showers), and now I’m waiting for Steve. It’s a little pricey here at $25, but Steve and I will split it, so not too bad.

No comments: