Sunday, June 16, 2019

(Temporary Backup) Day 8-OSBT-You’d Think This is a Hiking Tour!

This morning, Don was up and immediately came over to talk to me. I kept packing up my stuff until the point where I was putting on my helmet...and he was still talking to me. I interrupted him to ask if we could take a photo together. He said, “Oh, a selfie!”


Since I wasn’t going to be staying in one of the State Parks for the night, I also got a photo with Clemens. I’ve camped with him every night since Bruceport. 


So, originally, I was planning to go to Honeyman, which would be another 60 mile day. But, I really needed to do laundry, and Newport was just a few miles down the road. I also wanted to go to Newport Bike. The laundromat was just across 101 from the bike shop. Since the bike shop wasn’t open yet, I did my laundry first. It only cost me $2.50, but it turns out I could have done laundry at the bike shop (yep, this bike shop really caters to touring cyclists...they also have showers). Oh well, I didn’t have to wait for the shop to open. 

As I was heading back to the route, I saw Serena and Kendra heading toward the bike shop. I can’t remember if I mentioned it, but I camped with them at Cape Lookout. We should be back together again at Honeyman tomorrow night. 

Anyway, I continued down the road. I didn’t really stop, except for a bit of a lunch break at a wayside, until I got to Yachats where I finally saw my favorite sign...”bakery”. It was Bread and Roses Bakery. They didn’t really have much of a selection, but that’s probably because it was a little later in the afternoon by the time I got there. 

I arrived at Cape Perpetua Campground about 3:45. The reason I decided to go to Cape Perpetua is because they have a number of hiking trails (and it was just over half the distance to Honeyman). I set everything up, and then headed for the trails. The first trail I did was the St. Perpetua Trail. It was a steep climb over 1.1 miles to the top of Cape Perpetua. When I got to the top, there were a lot of people there. That’s because there is also a road that goes up to the top. Anyway, the views were spectacular, and there was even a Rock Shelter. 

Looking down to Devil’s Churn

You can see 101.

Rock Shelter. 

I looped around on the Whispering Spruce Trail, then headed back down. 



Can’t resist a couple of flower pics. 

When I got back to where I had started, I went on the trail to the Visitor Center. Unfortunately, it was closed, but I continued to the Cove Trail, and the trail to Devil’s Churn. 

If you zoom in on the photo, right where the ground starts to slope down on the left side, you can see the Rock Shelter. 

Spouting Horn. I didn’t walk over there because I will go by it tomorrow morning.

Devil’s Churn. I’ve never walked all the way down to the rocks. It was quite thrilling as the water camp crashing in. 

When I got back to my campsite, lo and behold, Clemens had arrived! We enjoyed a nice evening talking about various things. 

Notice how huge that downed tree is (see Clemens’ bike?)!









No comments: