Wednesday, June 19, 2019

(Temporary Backup) Days 10 and 11 OSBT-Kids on Bikes, and Another Hike

The ride from Honeyman was not so exciting except in Winchester Bay I met a group of kids cycling to San Francisco. 

The kids and adults were all Indian, but I don’t know if they were from India. I didn’t get too much time to talk to them. 

Interestingly, the Oregon Coast Bike Route no longer goes along the bay. It just continues on 101 up the hill. That makes it shorter, but now you don’t go by the Umpqua Lighthouse. In order to do that, you have to go off-route to the State Park. 

I saw Clement a couple of times, but he is faster (even though I got to Sunset Bay before him). At Sunset Bay, Clement, and Carmen showed up, and we also added Mark (from San Francisco area), and Haley from Australia. Haley was going north. Mark had started hiking, but switched to biking because the Oregon Coast Trail was so much road walking on 101. 

I was only going to stay the one night, but I really wanted to go out to Cape Arago. It was 8 miles round trip to hike there. I decided to stay an extra night so I could do the hike the next day. Clement said he would do the hike too. 

So, this morning we all slept in...well, I slept in. Clement usually sleeps later, and Carmen is always up early. Carmen and Clement needed more food, since we were staying another night, so we all rode the 3 miles back into Charleston to get some food. I got some yogurt to eat there, and we got the fixings for s’mores. 

When we got back, Clement and I got ready to go on our hike. Here’s a few of the photos. It was spectacular, and I am so glad I stayed the extra day. 



















There’s a whole mess of sea lions out there!

When we got back from the hike, Matthew was here, and a new guy named Paul. Paul is Polish, but lives in Australia. He has done a lot of touring. His plan is to ride to San Diego, then ride to Florida, then up to New York. 

By the way, the s’mores were delicious!


No comments: