Monday, July 3, 2023

Oregon Outback Day 4 1/2-A Bit More Sauce, and Some Awesome Descending


Good morning from the Red Sauce Forest. It does seem to look a little more red in the morning light. 

It was chilly enough this morning that I started out in my jacket. Not for too long though. Gradually, I worked my way out of the Forest, and into the sun. 

Sand Spring…where there are reported to be “tons of tadpoles, dead animals, and cow shit.” In desperation, one could filter water from here and probably survive. I did not need any water. 

Still some sauce, but less Forest. 

No more Forest. 

After leaving the Red Sauce Forest, the road surface improved tremendously. Oh, there were still some washboard sections, but not nearly as much. In general, I was trending downhill. 

This was a nice descent. 

Still going down, heading to the highway. 

Just before popping out onto the highway, I glanced to my left. 

Oh look! It’s Mt. Bachelor, and the Three Sisters!

I had just a short 1.5 miles on the highway before turning back to gravel. The sign said 25 miles to Prineville Reservoir. It also said 45 miles to Prineville. I was making good time, so I thought maybe I could go all the way to Prineville. It was a wide gravel road without too much washboard. For a brief moment, I helped herd some cows. Okay, not really. I just rode through them. It looked like the woman on the ATV was getting them across the cattle guard. I thought cattle guards were supposed to keep them from crossing. Perhaps if they’re forced…one did do a tricky little ballet leap. 

That was some excitement. 

Not far after the cattle rustling, I looked at the elevation profile screen on my Garmin. Whoa! Big descent coming! 

Already going down, and you can see the road in the distance continuing down down down. I didn’t check the mileage, but it seemed like I was going down for miles and miles. It was awesome! I knew there was a climb coming up, but it certainly wasn’t going to be as long as this descent! I might have said a couple of Woo Hoos as I was flying down. 

I knew the gravel was ending soon, so I pulled over in some shade and ate some lunch. Numerous cars went by. I wonder what they thought of this woman sitting in a chair with shoes and socks off in the middle of nowhere? 

I came out to pavement, and the climb started not long after. It was the longest climb so far at 2.8 miles with an average grade of 5%. It wasn’t that steep (max was 7%), but on the pavement it was hot hot hot! Billy did just fine in his easiest gear, but I was sweating like mad! I had to stop periodically to guzzle some water. There was not a speck of shade. 

The payback for the long descent. 

There was a very nice descent on the other side that brought me down to Prineville Reservoir. 

Somehow I managed to get a photo with no one in it. There were several people recreating on the reservoir. I talked to one guy who said there were numerous campsites open. The first campground is the only one with potable water. I decided that would be the easiest, so I pulled in to Big Bend CG. I wouldn’t say there were numerous campsites open (there were two), but I only needed one, and it had some nice shade. The other campgrounds are free (dry). This one is still only $8. When I got here, I texted my cousin, Debbie. Tomorrow I will get to her and Brian’s house in Prineville. I told her where I was, and if she was bored, she could come visit (even though I’ll see her tomorrow). They came out and brought me the most delicious cinnamon bun (for breakfast…yeah, it didn’t make it to breakfast), and a selection of cold drinks. We visited for awhile. They both told me to be careful going down to the river because the rattlesnakes hang out by the water. Did you know they even swim??? I’m so glad I chose to stay here, and no, I’m NOT going down to the river. Brian told me I just have to watch for them. Nope, nope, no danger rope for me! I’m happy to wash off from the water spigot, thank you very much!

They left, offering to take anything that I wouldn’t need for tomorrow’s 23ish mile ride, but I pretty much use everything. I’m very much looking forward to more visiting, and…a shower!

The last occupants left flowers!

The danger noodles are down there by the river. 










1 comment:

Bennett said...

Oh, good to know about the Sand Spring having water in it this time of year! (July). I'm glad you posted a pic of that, very helpful.