Monday, July 3, 2023

Oregon Outback Day 5-A Half Day to Prineville and Luxury

Once again I woke up this morning at 5:20. Really don’t need to set an alarm, because the Alarm Clock Birds go off every morning at 5:20…no matter where I am. This morning, though, I was packed up and ready to roll at 7:00! I was a full 20 minutes faster than the past four days. Of course, being in a campground somehow makes me more efficient. Really, the key is having a picnic table. 

When I pulled out onto the road, I noticed that this was also one of Oregon’s Scenic Bikeways. I’m pretty sure it’s called the Crooked River Scenic Bikeway. 

So, now I can check another Bikeway off the list (or part of it anyway).

It was mostly downhill at the beginning. I did encounter climb 6/16 in the climb profile. Weird thing…it was just under a half mile long, and the grade was never more than 5%. However, the Garmin kept saying the “Average grade remaining” was higher and higher, up to 40%! Silly Garmin! 

I went by numerous campgrounds. They were all dry. The only one with water was Big Bend. Otherwise you have to filter from the river. 

Crooked River in the morning. 

Sun will soon be hitting the road. 

Since it was pretty easy pedaling, I made it to Debbie and Brian’s around 10:00 or so. I nice easy half day. 

I took a shower first thing, and it was the best shower ever! It feels good to be clean again. Clothes are all washed, and back to smelling good!

As I knew we would, we spent the majority of the afternoon chatting. I’ve learned so much about my dad’s side of the family. Debbie and I had vastly different experiences with our grandparents due to our age difference. 

Tomorrow Jana, Stephanie, and Erin are coming. I expect they’ll be here early to mid afternoon. For now, I’m going to conk out, and enjoy this first of two nights in a real bed. Goodnight from Prineville!


No comments: