Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What I Forgot to Bring

I found out something I forgot to bring. I discovered this at about 1:15 in the morning. I forgot to bring Zantac. Zantac is the medicine I take (in addition to Benedryl) when I have eaten something that doesn't agree with me. When I woke up at 1:15, my stomach felt funny and I needed to go to the restroom. Having experianced this many times before, I immediatly took two Benedryl and would have taken Zantac as well, except I seemed to have not packed any. Actually, what I think happened is that the bottle I had was expired so I took it out and meant to replace it. That, obviously, didn't happen. Usually with the Zantac, I can get through the episode without vomiting. So, as you can guess...well, I won't go into the gross details (let's just say, I have discovered another use for the urinal in the sani-can).
I was able to get whatever it was (I suspect the butter--not eating that anymore) out of my system and go back to sleep. Due to the Benedryl I did not want to get up this morning. I had wanted to get up at 6:15 because I had a fair amount of miles today with alot of climbing. I got up at 7:15. I was on the road by 9:00 (didn't eat much breakfast...no duh!). I felt okay, just a little tired. Once I was on the road things were okay. I climbed Cape Lookout right off the bat. It's 2 1/2 miles up. Then at Cape Kiwanda I stopped to watch the surfing attempts. Then I decided I felt good enough to have a single scoop of Udderly Chocolate ice cream. The next climb was Cascade Head on Old Hwy 101. A couple out for a day ride caught up to me and we chatted our way to the top. When I got to Lincoln City I stopped at Safeway and bought some Zantac. Hopefully I won't need it. The final climb of the day was Cape Foulweather. I took Otter Crest Loop like last year. It was long, but not a bad climb. I stopped and checked out The Devil's Punchbowl. Would have been more spectacular had the tide been in.
So now I am at Beverly Beach. A guy from Germany that I have camped with since Nehalem Bay is also here. We rode together for awhile today. He's a nice guy.
Tomorrow is another long one, but without so many climbs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're feeling better. Dad told me you were'nt feelin so hot.

Egon said...

Hi Colleen - Egon here, Tina Husseinis old man. I am impressed with your undertaking, your determination, your discipline, your ..... Reading your daily report brings back pleasant memories - I did the Oregon coast some 8 years ago when I turned 65. I took a more leisurely trip. I remember hiding my bicycle in the underbrush to take a hike out to some point and the anxious hour or so trying to find it again. I read about your laundry day - I remember that girl, a Berkly student, that added extensions to her bicycle, front and rear, to dry out her more intimate clothing pieces while she was pedaling. Happy pedaling and memorable experiences, Egon