Wednesday, July 3, 2019

OSBT Day 25-Old Mackenzie Pass Scenic Bikeway #4

After I posted yesterday’s blog, I met Ken. I was walking to the other end of town for some groceries, and he was walking his bike toward the campground. We talked briefly, then said we’d see each other at the campground. I had decided I was going to eat dinner at the Hops and Brew Pub which was close to the campground. When I got back from grocery shopping, Ken had his tent set up, and it was the same as mine. He asked how I got the things on the end to stick out (the vents) I showed him, and then he said he was going to go get something to eat. I asked him if he’d like to dine together, so we went to the pub and had dinner. 

Back at the campground, we met Patrick who is from Germany, and thru hiking the PCT. There was another couple also doing the PCT, but I didn’t talk to them until this morning at the bakery as I was leaving town. There was another cyclist, but he kept to himself. So, the Creekside Campground Hiker/Biker area was pretty busy! 

This morning was interesting in that everyone was up and packing up at the same time. Usually there is at least one person still asleep in their tent. Patrick was hitching back to where he got off trail at Old Mackenzie, and the other hiker couple were headed to Santiam. 

Ken was headed back to Eugene. He was just doing a three day tour from Eugene to Sisters and back, so climbing Old Mackenzie in both directions (and descending too). 

I left about 15 minutes before him, but I was stopping at the bakery for one last time. I caught up to him a couple miles up the road. He kept telling me he was slow, and after awhile he said he was going to slow down a bit to pace himself. I got ahead of him, but when I stopped to take my sleeves off my vest, he caught up pretty quickly. We ended up riding pretty close to each other the entire 15 miles to the top of the Pass. I stopped now and then to take a couple of photos. 

There was a fire 2 years ago, so now a “stick forest”. 

Here comes Ken!

Windy Point (yes, it was windy...and cold...I put my sleeves back on).

A narrow bend through the lava. 

The road actually leveled out a bit, then threw in one last kicker for the last quarter mile. We arrived at 10:30. 

Summit sign, Tilmann, the Dee Wright Observatory, and Ken (the tiny yellow dot). 

I, of course had to walk to the top of the Observatory. 



Hi Ken and Tilmann!

If it was a clear day, these are all the mountains one could see. 

Not a clear day. 

A nice lady took my picture. 

Another nice lady took a photo of Ken and I. 

I put my hoody on for the descent, but I forgot to close up my pannier. As a started riding, there was this weird sound when I shifted. Sometimes if I don’t stop pedaling enough, the gears will make a nasty sound. I thought that’s what it was, but then Ken said the strap was hanging down. Oops...

It was an 18 mile, mostly descending, ride down. At one point I stopped to take this photo,

and unfortunately ended up behind a car. On the bike, I can take the corners much faster than a car. I was having to brake so as not to run into the car. Finally, the car pulled over and let me go by. I waved a thank you. 

Ken caught up to me as I had stopped to take off my hoody just before the turn onto Hwy 126. He said he wanted to buy me lunch at Mackenzie Bridge about 7 more miles. Well, we pulled up to the restaurant, and it was closed (Mondays and Tuesdays). Ken said there was another restaurant not far (in Rainbow), so we went there. It was pretty good. I had a turkey, with Marion berry preserves, cream cheese, tomato and lettuce on a focaccia, and some tots. 

When we left the restaurant, it was about 2:00. If I was going to ride all the way to Armitage County Park, it was going to be another 55 miles. I was a bit nervous about doing  a 93 mile day even with there being a lot of downhill. There was enough of a headwind to slow us down. The only place I knew of to camp was Blue River Reservoir. When we came to the turn, I told Ken I thought it was a better idea for me to camp there, than to try to make it to Armitage. So, we said our goodbyes. I really enjoyed riding with him. 

It was 4 miles to the campground, with about half of it uphill. Still, I’m glad I made the decision to come here. 



It’s a Forest Service campground, so $15, but that’s okay. 

As I was starting to write this, a guy pulled up and waved me over to his truck. He said he liked my tent. Turns out he’s the sales rep for Cascade Designs which sells MSR products (and other things like Platypus and Therm-a-Rest). He gave me his card and said to shoot him an email and he would give me a code for 30% off any MSR product! 

He said he is camping here, and I told him about the next site over (which I would have taken if I’d noticed it wasn’t reserved until the 4th). He went there, then drove back by my campsite and said he had to run back into Blue River because he didn’t have any cash. He asked if I wanted anything like pizza or ice cream. He’s bringing me some ice cream!!! 

All in all, it was a great day, and a great choice to come here!

Update: Ice Cream was great! Brian and I got to talking. I told him I was going to thru-hike the AT next year. He did it 11 years ago. We were talking gear (of course we were because well...I love gear, and he sells gear!), and specifically sleeping pads. I said I like my Nemo Tensor, but it is a long, and I don’t really need the long (and the extra weight). He goes to his truck and pulls out a brand new Thermarest Uber Lite and says to give it a try tonight. The thing is practically weightless! I inflated it, and laid on it. First impression is that it seems pretty comfortable. It’s narrow, though. He said for the AT, I would probably prefer the Neo Air X-Lite (more insulation). They make it in a regular length, but wide. There’s also a new one way/two way valve combo coming out. 

I’m going to go join him later at his campfire, we can talk more hiking and gear. 


No comments: