Monday, July 8, 2019

OSBT Day 31-A 12 Mile Change of Plan

I’m writing this from my room at the America’s Best Value Inn in Kelso. Yes, I had planned to just go to Kalama, and camp at Camp Kalama Campground, but it was just 38 miles there, and I really wanted to get more miles so I wouldn’t have to do so many tomorrow. Plus, the weather forecast is not the best, and I’d rather not have to ride 83 miles in the rain (because, 73 miles is so much better!). 

I left Kim and Kevin’s about 7:45. Since they live in more East Vancouver, it was pretty much a straight shot north. In La Center I stopped at Sadie and Josie’s Bakery. 


Nine years ago, I stopped here on my way home from Sierra Cascades (I had to detour to Vancouver because Elk Pass was closed). This was where the mother and sister of my brother’s friend recognized me even though I hadn’t seen them (nor them me) for 30 years. I was glad after 9 years, the bakery was still in business. In fact, I think they had expanded a bit. I got a couple of pastries and took a break. 

Back on the road, I was on the lookout for Lishan Rd. It would be before Woodland. I found it, and stopped for a photo. 

For those who don’t know, Lishan is my maiden name, and this is where my great grandparents homesteaded. Sometime, I should ride up it, and see what’s there. 

The hardest part of the day was just after Woodland. The only level road between Woodland and Kalama is the freeway. Those not wishing to go on I-5 have to go up and over Green Mountain. Green Mountain Road is a doozy! It is 5 steep bumps leveling off only slightly between each bump for approximately 2 miles. I had to stop twice between bumps to catch my breath, and bring my heart rate down from the stratosphere. Fortunately, the route doesn’t go all the way to the top of Green Mountain, but turns and makes a very steep descent back down to parallel the freeway into Kalama. 

Headed back down to the freeway (and Columbia River). 

I rolled into Kalama with a plan to eat at Subway. It was there that I looked at the weather for tomorrow, saw that it was going to rain as early as 3:00pm, and decided to push on to Kelso and stay in a hotel. From Subway, it was 12 more miles that I won’t have tomorrow. 

America’s Best is an inexpensive hotel. It’s a darn good thing I am here today, and not this coming Saturday, when the STP rolls through. This place is fully booked for Saturday. 

I’ll be home tomorrow...hopefully before the rain. 


No comments: