Thursday, July 4, 2019

OSBT Day 27-This May Not Have Been A Good Idea

Happy 4th of July! 

Today, I started my 5th and final Oregon Scenic Bikeway, the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway. 


I started out today just planning to ride to Brownsville. It was only 25 miles, but the next camping option was another 65 miles in Independence. I had really wanted to be in Independence on the 4th. I thought it would be pretty cool. But, it was too far...or was it?

As I was riding to Brownsville, I got to thinking, maybe I could make it to Independence. As I rolled into Brownsville just before 11:00, the thought of hanging around Brownsville all day just didn’t appeal to me (not that’s it’s a bad town or anything, in fact, it is quite quaint). I stopped for a snack, and filled up my water bottle, then rolled on. 

The beginning of the climb before Brownsville 

I think those bees are making clover honey

It’s the Red Baron!

Just before Albany, I came to Bryant Park. I stopped for another break and potty shack opportunity. Then continued through Albany. The route goes through the historic part of town. Most places were closed for the holiday. That was okay, I didn’t have time to stop anyway. 

At 69 miles, I rolled into Jefferson. I took another break, and had a Tollhouse Ice Cream sandwich and the better part of a 32 ounce bottle of Gatorade. 

I crossed over I-5 for the fourth time with about 15 miles to go. At this point, the lady parts were beginning to express their displeasure at so much sitting on the saddle (the heat didn’t help). I started standing to pedal quite a bit. 

There were a few uphills which actually felt better as they changed the position I was sitting (most of the day had been pretty flat except for one climb just before Brownsville). 

I was seriously counting down the miles...5...4...3...2...and finally I was crossing the bridge into Independence. I have camped at the “Bicycle Campground“ before, but I had no memory of what it looked like until I saw the park. 

As you might imagine, the town of Independence, even though it is quite small, does a rather extravagant 4th of July. 

They even paint stars on the grass!

When I saw the extent of the celebration, I started to get the tiniest bit worried. 


I asked at the Police booth where the bike camping was. Well...turns out the carnival rides are smack in the middle of the bike camping area! Now, if I had ridden the 65 miles like I had originally planned, and it was the 4th, I would have probably just ridden on to Salem. However, I had ridden 90 miles, and I could barely sit on the saddle. So, what did I do? I followed the road down to the river. I thought, maybe I could just Camp by the river. Yeah...that wasn’t going to work (rocky and muddy). Then I saw a trail that went up to what I figured was the other end of the bike camping area, and maybe the end of the carnival rides. Problem was, the trail was very steep. As I was checking it out, a group of about 5, maybe late teens/very early 20s, guys came walking on the trail. I quickly asked if they could help me. I told them I what I was hoping to do. One guy went up and checked to see if we could get through, and two other guys grabbed Tilmann and muscled him up the hill (no small feat). Now, these guys were not your “clean-cut” dudes, yet they immediately jumped to my aid. Without them, I could not have got Tilmann up the hill (even if I took the bags off). I offered to give them a gratuity, but they refused saying only, “Happy 4th of July”!

Sure enough, I came out at the end of the carnival rides, and there were a couple of carnival workers tents. Okay, I thought, I’ll just make like I’m a carnival worker! 


I parked Tilmann, changed out of my bike pants and shorts (this is where the skirt comes in real handy), locked Tilmann and my handlebar bag, grabbed my phone and wallet, and hit the Midway. Well, first I had to figure out how to get to the other side of the fences. No problem, I found an opening, and blended into the crowd. 

I went in search of some food (uh, not hard to find). I sat at the park and ate some pizza and an elephant ear (of course, who goes to a carnival and doesn’t have an elephant ear?), and listened to some music (some old has-been bunch of dudes). Then I walked back through the Midway, through the sly dog opening in the fence, and back to Tilmann. 


I was making my plan of where to set up my tent when I noticed one of the workers at one of the tents. I went over to him, and told him my situation. I asked if he thought it’d be okay for me to set up my tent and make like I was part of the carnival. He told me sure, and that no one would mess with me or my stuff, although they don’t get off until midnight, and they don’t go to bed until about 2:00, and that they might be a little noisy. I told him that was not a problem for me (I have ear plugs). I asked his name (Paul) and told him mine. A few minutes later as I was setting up my tent, he came over and gave me an Employee Gate Pass, so I could go out and come back in at least once. 


There are fireworks at 10:00, which is in an hour. I’m starting to feel the effects of my 90 mile day. I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay awake long enough. 

One thing is for sure, this may not have been a good idea, but it will definitely go down as my most memorable 4th of July!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing day! I particularly enjoyed the dudes on the trail who lugged your loaded bike to the top of the hill and the carny guy who gave you the employee pass. Too many women are afraid to have this sort of adventure on their own and they really miss out. I did a solo tour in Connemara, Ireland a few years back and was more than once asked (by Irish women) where the rest of my group was and wasn't I afraid? No, I was confident and careful and I had a fantastic time riding all day, stopping wherever I was when it was about an hour before sunset, finding a B&B, showering, changing into jeans and tee-shirt and heading to the nearest pub for beer and grub. Way too much fun!!!

Jean S said...

Hi great reading your bllog