Monday, August 17, 2026

8/17-Wildlife on the North Bend Trail!

I noticed the further east I get the earlier I can leave. This morning I was ready to go at 7:30. It was 4 miles through Parkersburg to get to the North Bend Trail where I would spend the rest of the day. 

The surface varied, but was generally pretty good until later when the rain came. 

The North Bend Trail has many bridges and many tunnels. The bridges would cross the same creek multiple times, then another creek multiple times, and so on.

Shhh!

I lost track of how many tunnels I went through. Here’s some photos. 





The first of two Pennsboro tunnels had an extra special water feature. 

As you can see, it was water covering the whole tunnel floor. Now, at this point, my feet were still dry. I wanted to keep it that way. See the sides? I decided to walk along the left side, and push Wanda through the water (it wasn’t that deep). The walk way was kind of narrow. I realized my yellow shirt (my nice clean yellow shirt) was cleaning the side of the tunnel. Hopefully next time I wash it, it will come clean. 

I saw lots of wildlife today. First I saw a fox, then I saw a deer, then two turkeys, more deer, and…a BEAR! Unfortunately I couldn’t get a photo because it was a good bear and turned and ran as soon as it heard me. 
The deer? Not so much.

It was exciting to see a bear. I imagine I might see more as there are a lot of black bears in WV. Maybe I’ll be able to get a photo. 

I stopped in Ellensboro for some lunch at McDonalds. It was right next to the trail. As I continued on, it started getting g darker and darker. Uh oh, we know what that means! I put my rain jacket on, but not the shorts. Pretty soon it was absolutely pouring. It was hard to see. Wanda did a great job maneuvering around the branches and through the water. There had been numerous waterfalls. Now there were even more. 





I had hid out for a bit in this tunnel. When I came out, it was only lightly raining, but the waterfall was really going!

I finally made it to Smithburg. I was going to camp at Doddridge County Park. 
When I got to the park, I noticed they had yurts. I asked if any were available. Yurt 3 was, so I got it. There has been a woman named Sarah who has been slowly catching up to me. Vivian said she had to meet me. We’ve been in contact with each other, and finally ended up at the same place. I told her I got a yurt, and she was welcome to stay in it too. She arrived not too much later. It’s been fun comparing notes. Dana even came by to see us (what took us all day to ride took him an hour to drive)! 

Things are drying out. My shoes are soaked once again. Tomorrow, Sarah and I will ride together. I’m only going to Shinnston. It’s too far to go to Morgantown like I planned. I will eat up that extra day by taking two days to Morgantown. Shinnston is about halfway.

Best thing about today was seeing a bear! Worst thing was more rain! I’m so tired of all the rain and flooding. It just needs to stop!

T-minus 9 days to Nolan and DC!

No comments: