The first handful of miles were spent negotiating Cedar Rapids. It was all on bike path (still the Cedar Valley Trail), but it was a lot of navigation.
| Good morning shadow! |
| Through industrial and urban areas |
| Into downtown Cedar Rapids. |
| Entrance to a neighborhood. There was another one called Czech Village. |
I was still mostly next to, or near the Cedar River. There was another trail closure, but this time there were detour signs.
Once back on the trail, it was the usual green tunnel.
| Back to corn and soybeans. |
The Cedar Valley Trail seamlessly connected to the Hoover Nature Trail. It started at Ely.
It was mid-morning calcium supplement…I mean chocolate milk time! I also replenished my snack foods as I had finished off everything.
Going back to the trail, I noticed this in an intersection.
| “Be Social”-there was another one the said “Be Home” |
Ely was a cute town. It looks like they have really worked to make it look inviting.
The trail continued out of Ely. For the first time since Perry (218 miles ago), I came to the first climb on the Climb Pro.
| Climb 1 of 7 for this 498 mile section |
| Going up! |
The trail continued to the town of Solon. There it ended at large park with all the sports things, and this cool building.
| The Timber Dome Lodge |
| Map of the Hoover Trail |
Since that was the end of the Hoover Trail, I was back to roads.
| Surprise! It’s a long straight rolling Iowa road! |
At one point, there was a sign that said “Pavement ends”. But, it didn't. Then there was a sign that said “End of Oiled Surface”. Then, the pavement ended.
| Cedar County hasn’t bothered to pave their part. |
At least it was a shorter gravel section than my route said it was going to be. There were a couple more Climb Pro climbs in that section. They weren’t very long or very steep.
I was thinking I was going to be on gravel the rest of the way to Tipton, but no. I popped out onto a paved county road. It didn't have any shoulder, but most of the traffic seemed to be going the other way. I had another climb, the fourth one (out of just 7 over 498 miles). It said the next climb was in 135 miles! Okay! No more Iowa climbs (Climb Pro climbs anyway)!
Just after passing a sign that said “Tipton 6 miles” (going straight), my Garmin had me turning. Oh, I know what this is…why stay on the nice paved road when you can take a gravel road instead? I turned. I was in no hurry to get to Tipton because I couldn’t check in until 4:00. May as well take the slower way.
| It was good enough gravel |
In about 5 miles I came into the outskirts of Tipton. I stopped to see exactly where the hotel was located. It’s actually right on the route as I leave town. Since it was still early, and I wanted some lunch anyway, I stopped at the Hardees in town. There I met Judy and Ray, an older couple who drove from their town just to eat at the Hardees. According to them, it’s the best Hardees around. Personally, I found my bacon cheeseburger to be extremely salty. But, I had a nice time chatting with Judy and Ray.
I killed as much time as I could, then figured I’d see if I could check in early. I rode through the rest of the town.
| Now THAT is a painted rock!!! |
Lisa, at the Tipton Motel, not only let me check in early, but she upgraded me to a ground floor king bed room so I wouldn’t have to haul Wanda upstairs! Bikes aren’t allowed in the rooms, so Wanda is locked up outside.
| Very nice room! |
Lisa said she had two women who left this morning. I asked who it was. It was two of the RAILS women. Apparently, the other three have gone ahead. Maybe I’ll catch up to the two women.
Today was way shorter than yesterday, but having half of it being back on roads, including gravel, made it feel longer. Tomorrow will be my last day in Iowa.
No comments:
Post a Comment