Sunday, August 9, 2026

8/9-The Good and the Bad of Sundays

First, though, Happy Birthday to my son, Nolan! 29 years old!

The bad thing about Sundays is the good things aren’t generally open. Such is usually the case with bakeries. Of course, the Oak View Inn didn’t have any sort of breakfast (and I might not have wanted to eat it anyway), but sadly the Fingerhut Bakery was closed. That left me with breakfast at Burger King. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t bakery quality.

The good things aren’t generally about Sundays is less traffic. I rode the highway to where the Erie Trail intersected with it at the North Judson Trailhead. 
At the trailhead…in case you forgot your bike.


The Erie Trail is 12 miles long, but I missed the first two miles riding the highway straight over. Along the trail were these planet signs. 



The rest of the planets must have been in the first two miles that I missed. 

Besides being part of the GAWR, the Erie Trail is also part of all of these routes.
GART, American Discovery Trail, and Indiana Bike Route 35
Nice trail surface

Mural on a shed

This sign gave directions to connect to the next bike path. 

After the Erie Trail, I was on quiet country roads. Especially quiet because of it being Sunday. 


I went through a few small “towns”, but none had any services until Delong. In Delong there was the L&B Country Oasis, a small market. It was about 20 miles into the day, and a good spot (the only spot, really) for a break and a snack. There was no chocolate milk, so I had ice cream and, of all things, a banana! 

I was over halfway for the day. This was a good day to have a short day because I have now crossed into my final time zone! That means, for awhile, it will be dark later in the morning, and light later at night. Just means I can sleep a little later. 

Yesterday, I said I was going to Peru. The one motel listed on the GAWR spreadsheet is closed. I did find out later there was a place a little off route, but I had decided to just go to Rochester. I didn’t know I would be losing an hour, so it worked out. I wanted to talk to my son for his birthday, and he was available at 1:30, but not for too long because the Boston Pops had a concert he had to work. 

I’m at the Quality Inn. Wouldn’t you know, there’s a Super 8 right next door! Oh well, this was pretty cheap too.

Tomorrow I will ride through Peru to Marion.

No comments: