 |
| As promised…me and Kelli! Thanks again for everything! |
I decided, since I didn’t have breakfast food at the 74 Pancake House yesterday, I would stop there for breakfast today. The same guy, Marco, was there this morning. Turns out, he’s the owner. Nice guy.
When I got back on Wanda, and was heading back to the route, I had to cross the train tracks. Just as I pulled up, a train was going by.
 |
| And going by… |
 |
| Finally after 7 minutes…the end! |
The first part of today’s route was along the Mississippi again on the Great River Trail.
 |
| Morning on the Mississippi |
 |
| A couple of scullers taking advantage of the calm water |
I saw these two herons, one flying, one sitting.
 |
| Then the sitting one took off too |
The route departed from the River to head over to the Hennepin Canal. Some of the time I was on a bike route called the Rock River Trail.
 |
| Back out in the countryside (after going around the prison) |
I came into Colona. There I stopped at a convenience store for some chocolate milk. Right after Colona, or maybe actually in Colona, I picked up the Hennepin Canal Trail.
 |
| Beginning of the Hennepin |
I would be on this for the rest of the day (and some of tomorrow too). There were many different surfaces. Everything from smooth pavement, rough pavement, gravel, packed dirt, and short bits of sand. All of it was easily rideable.
I crossed back and forth over the canal a few times.
 |
| One of the locks |
At times it was a bit monotonous. I had started counting herons for a distraction. I tried to get a photo, but I was never fast enough. They would be sitting at the edge of the canal out of my sight. I would startle them as I rode by, and they would take off. In all, I saw 29 herons (you know I was very excited when I saw number 27)!
I made it to the Visitor’s Center. It is the only place to get water on the entire canal. I drank a bunch, then filled up 4 liters.
The Hennepin Canal runs from the Mississippi to the Illinois River. It was built to save 400 miles of transporting people and cargo. It took 14 years to build. When the railroad came through, the canal was no longer needed. There are at least 25 locks. All are no longer functional. People can boat on the canal, but only between the locks.
 |
| I only saw this one boat. |
After the Visitor’s Center, there was a detour due to a bridge being out. I don’t know how much the detour added, but I’d guess at least a mile or so. It was well signed.
It was actually a nice diversion from the canal. From the VC on the canal, I would have had 16 more miles to Lock 6 campground. It was a little more.
I was counting down the locks. They are much closer together in this part of the canal, and in the 16-ish miles I went from Lock 21 to Lock 6.
Many of the locks have camping available. It’s pretty primitive with a restroom, a few picnic tables, and a trash can. It’s supposedly $8, but I see nowhere to pay.
 |
| I walked Wanda across this bridge to the campground. |
It’s just me here. Gonna be a peaceful night with the sound of the water falling at the lock. I think there’s a chance of rain tonight, and definitely tomorrow. Must pull out the rain gear.
No comments:
Post a Comment