Tuesday, August 25, 2026

8/25-Spending the Final Night With a New Friend!

I’ve made it to Lock 21, aka Swains Campground. This is the last campground on the C&O. 

It was just a 37 mile day to get here, and I did my best to take it slow. I did leave at 8:00, even though I was trying to leave later.
The mighty Potomac

Back on the trail!

The trains last night were non-stop. I don’t get how there could be so many! I finally put earplugs in.

I stopped at all the things along the trail. Trying to savor my last “full” day of riding. 
The Catoctin Aquaduct


Wanna work at a lock house?

Paw paw fruit!

Nolan’s Ferry


Monocracy (or something like that) aquaduct

The tow path

You actually ride through what would have been water

Of course…Lock 27!

A pleasant surprise was White’s Ferry. I didn’t think I would have any food or drink opportunities. I didn’t need it, but I still had some ice cream and a Dr. Pepper.


It seems like maybe the ferry still runs???



Check out those flood marks!

I stopped and talked to two different couples today. Roy and Elizabeth were doing the GAP/C&O. They were making it back to DC today. Paul and Eileen were out for a day ride. I especially enjoyed talking with them. 

I went past my final “27”. Mile post 27 of the C&O.

About 10 miles to go for the day.
The river is pretty wide now!

I thought this was a cool part of the canal. More open, less green tunnel.

Turtles, of course!

I arrived at Lock 21. It’s also known as Swains Campground. It’s bigger than the typical canal campsite. There are individual campsites. There’s also the lock, and lock house. 

When I rolled up, there was a woman with a dog at campsite #2. I had been hoping there would be other people camping on my last night, so I asked if she would be interested in sharing the site. She said sure! She had just arrived herself, and was doing an overnight test run with Matilda the dog (a Stafford Terrier/lab mix). 

Her name is Tommie, and she lives in DC. We hit it off immediately! Matilda is the sweetest pup!
Funny thing, she wouldn’t stay on the mat. She preferred to be in the dirt!

Me and Tommie

Tommie had left her other container of water in the Uber. Unfortunately, the water pump here is out of service. We both tried to find a way to get to the river to filter water. Tommie just ended up having Uber Eats deliver water for both of us! She also got some fruit, and a protein yogurt squeeze pouch for me! 

She had brought out zucchini, kale, quinoa, and shrimp. She didn’t have any oil, but I still had my little bottle of olive oil from when I was cooking. So I got to contribute something to this fabulous dinner that Tommie made for both of us!

Chef Tommie!


The best camping dinner I’ve had the entire trip!

I’ve had such a great last evening! I am so happy to have made a new awesome friend! Tomorrow it’s just about 19 miles to the Washington Monument. Nolan is in DC already. I can’t wait to see him (and my friend, the Washington Monument).

1 comment:

Benjamin Blair said...

What a cool way to spend your last night on trail!