Since this morning was my last good breakfast until DC, I took a photo of it.
 |
| That’s right…2 chocolate milks! |
Since I only had 45 miles, I wasn’t in a rush to get going, but I was still rolling out at about 7:45. Fortunately, there were some people heading out on the GAP, and I talked to them for a bit. Still…too early for a short day!
 |
| The canal |
I did come to this one tree branch across the trail. There was a bit of a path around it.
Another thing that is never far away are the trains. It’s kind of appropriate that I’m back to hearing trains again. They have been a major feature of this whole route (even as I’m writing this, a train is going by across the river).
I leisurely made my way along the trail, stopping at signs and historical sites.
Funny thing, the town of Paw Paw is in WV, but the Paw Paw Tunnel is in Maryland! There was a “Canal Steward” named Dan at the Paw Paw Tunnel. I stopped to talk to him. He lives in Paw Paw. He moved there in 2009 because of the trail. He said he was looking for Paw Paw fruit, but hadn’t found any yet. He recommended walking my bike through the tunnel. The walkway is only 4 feet wide, and bumpy in places. I did walk, even though I think it would have been easier to ride, because there were other people walking through the tunnel (not on bikes). Dan took a photo of me in front of the tunnel entrance.
 |
| Paw Paw Tunnel |
 |
At least there is a railing to keep you from falling into the canal.
|
Curiously, there was a beaver building a dam in the tunnel. He must have to go quite a distance to get his building materials!
 |
| Beaver! |
I came out of the tunnel onto this boardwalk.
Then it was a bit of singletrack.
Eventually it became double track, but for awhile it was not as smooth as before the tunnel. They have been working on the trail. There was a section that was a bit muddy, but then I came to where they had put down new compacted gravel.
 |
| Smooth! |
The locks are all numbered. I thought this was funny.
 |
| Yes, there was a 63 2/3 too! |
As I was getting close to where I was going to camp, a guy rode up beside me. He had ridden from Cincinnati. We chatted until I got to Indigo Neck Hiker Biker campsite.
 |
| Home for the night (and the afternoon because I got here so early)! |
All the campsites have a potty shack, water pump, and a picnic table. The only thing they don’t have is trash cans.
 |
| The ol’ tent hasn’t been set up for awhile! |
This one is at Lock 57. There’s just the remnants of the old lock house.
I was getting water when a gentleman asked if I was okay. He was out for a ride on his bike (lives close by). We chatted for awhile. His name was Don. He just started riding about a month ago, and is getting in shape. He’s 75 years young. He asked if I needed anything as he was just a couple miles away. Having just started these last 5 days, I’m pretty much full up on food, so didn’t really need anything. Mostly, I just enjoyed chatting with him!
Tomorrow is another short day, but I will go through Hancock. Apparently, Hancock has restaurants and a Sheets (gas station/convenience store). Of course, tomorrow is Sunday, so probably only the gas station will be open. I’m going to take my time in the morning because I’m on vacation now!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment