Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Day 13-Doing Chores and Relaxing in Sisters


Making it look homey with the awnings up and everything!

Every so often it’s good to take a day and get chores done. Today was one such day. We started our day with a light breakfast because our first stop of the day was the fabulous Sisters Bakery! I got an Apple fritter that turned out to be the size of a salad plate! I ate half, then had the other half later. 

After our bakery goodness, we headed over to the laundromat. I don’t carry detergent anymore because I’m always doing laundry at a laundromat where I can buy detergent. The Village Laundromat had a detergent dispenser, but when I put in the $.75, it gave no box of Tide. We could see where the little arm pusher thing just didn’t push hard enough. Bummer! I hopped on my bike and rode to the Bi-Mart. They didn’t have travel packs of detergent. But I could get a fairly small bottle (8 loads) of Woolite. So, now, for about the next 7 weeks or so, we have laundry detergent. I guess if we needed to, we could use it to hand wash clothes too (got to think of the positives of carrying a bottle of detergent).

Once we were finished with our laundry, we returned to our little homes in the park to prepare for our next chores…food resupply, and picking up some needed items at the outdoor store. Before we resupply, we need to figure out how many days of food we want to carry. Then we have to inventory what we still have. I did pretty good on this last section (Florence to Sisters). I just had one dinner, a couple of tortillas, no breakfast (except hot chocolate), and a few snacks. 

We set off for the hiking store. As we were riding, I saw a group of cyclists coming toward us. It was Jen and her Bicycle Adventures group. They had finished their ride up Old McKenzie, and we’re headed to a brewery for lunch. Had just a moment to talk with Jen. She took this photo of us. 

Yep, riding around town in my skirt!

At Hike n Peak, I needed (Doug too) fuel. We each carry a 220gm canister, and a 110gm canister. The 110gm is for when the 220 runs out, then we have a little leeway before having to get more fuel. I also needed to get some more Dr. Bronner’s soap. Unfortunately, they didn’t have the unscented version, but they had Wilderness Wash which works just as well. I picked up a new 1 liter platypus container to replace the one that the trash panda (raccoon) put a hole in at Cape Disappointment. And, they even had Tenacious Tape! I had used most of what I had to repair my tent (also from the pesky raccoons of CD). So, I scored on all the things I needed! In addition to fuel, Doug was looking for a bigger knife (I may have mentioned in an earlier post that he had only brought a pen knife…not really suitable for cutting veggies for dinner). They didn’t have any, but he was able to choose from a wide selection at Bi-Mart. 

Onto Ray’s Food for groceries (just two days which will get us to Prineville, and my cousin, Debbie’s place), and our chores were done. 

That warm weather we were so wishing for in the first 10 days has arrived here in Eastern Oregon. I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying it!

We’ll head out tomorrow for a shortish day to Smith Rock where we’ll do some hiking. 

I’ll end this boring post with a photo of the creek and bridge near our campsite. 








1 comment:

dmorgorg said...

I think I would have followed the group to brewery for lunch. In fact, I know I would!