Monday, June 27, 2022

Day 18-What Do You Do When You Have to Take a 15 Minute Shower?

We got on the road this morning at the same time as yesterday. Doug and I were the last to leave. Grace and Matt took off first (but they didn’t eat breakfast). Matty left just before us. It was a pleasant 56 degrees. 

Today’s ride was a gradual trending up 45 miles. While it was scenic, it wasn’t as scenic as we’ve had. Consequently, I didn’t take many photos. 

This was last night’s sunset. 

It’s nice to look at, but pretty much the same all day. 

We passed Grace and Matt not too long into the day. They later passed us when we stopped in some shade for a snack. 


One thing that was different today was that we went through a couple towns. The first was Mount Vernon. I stopped at the post office and mailed some postcards, and also sent my hoody and my waterproof socks home. I only wore the socks to keep the mosquitoes from biting my feet, and I still have my puffy jacket. 

We also went through John Day. We stopped at the city park, and found Matty. We decided it was lunch time. 

John Day City Park. We wanted to go check out the swimming pool, but we couldn’t find it (the sign lied). Just as well, we might never have gotten out of the water!

13 miles more, and we were rolling, hot and sweaty, into Prairie City. 

Seeing some snow over there. 

Supposedly, at the coffee shop, there was a bike shop. Nope, it’s gone. However, I did have a thirst quenching lavender lemonade! The search for more sealant will have to wait until Baker City (day after tomorrow). While I’m on the subject…I have to say, I’m not thrilled with the Rene Herse Naches Pass tires (the front has been fine…knock on this wooden picnic table I’m sitting at). The rear has not been very durable (even with the endurance casing). I may try to get a new tire in Baker City, but it’s unlikely they would have a better option. If I really want a new tire, I’ll probably have to order one and have it shipped to someplace where I can get it set up tubeless. 

Anyway, we got to the Depot RV Park, a County Park that also has a H/B area ($8). Matty arrived with us. Grace and Matt rolled in a couple hours later. They did a tour of the Kum Wha Chung house in John Day. 

Depot Museum in the background. 

They have showers here, but the only option is $1.75 for a 15 minute shower. What does one do with all that shower time?

Laundry! I used every minute of that shower!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a little cooler. Not complaining about the heat, it’s still better than rain, but a little cooler will be nice. 




No comments: