Saturday, June 11, 2022

Day 2-A Most Awesome Surprise!

It rained most of the night, starting around 9:00, but that meant the Cub Scouts were quiet. It also meant not a thing dried out. Yes, I could have put dry socks on, but why…my sandals were still wet. I just decided to go with the concept of wearing things dry. 

Even though we got up pretty early (just after 6:00), it was still slow going getting everything packed up. Plus, I took a nice cold shower (water never heated up). But, eventually we were back on the Willapa. We didn’t even make it to Pe El before it started to rain again. 

Still spread out a bit. 

Pe El. 

But, shortly after, it stopped. Then later, started again. It was a morning of poncho on, poncho off. 

The river. 

Tilmann on the bridge. 

Doug heading off. 

The Willapa Hills Trail was overgrown in many places after Pe El. Although I have crossed the sketchy trestles with Tilmann before, we diverted out to the Hwy as we didn’t really want to walk across rotten wood in the rain. As soon as I was sure we had passed the trestles, we got back on the trail. It was slow going with all the chunky rocks. Doug struggled a bit, but kept going. Because I have so much gravel experience, it was easier for me (plus I have wider tires). It was taking a toll. Not far from Menlo, there was a huge puddle. I made the mistake of trying to ride through it. I managed to stay upright, but my feet were splooshing through the water and I just barely made it to the side of the puddle. Fortunately, Doug was behind me, and saw what NOT to do! We diverted again to the road to get out of the mud. We were also hungry, and wanted to get to Menlo sooner. We were just a mile or so away. 

We got to Menlo, got some liquid refreshment, and sat outside to eat a late lunch. Lo and behold, who should come flying along the trail? MAKAELA!!! She had been texting me saying she was going to try to meet up with us, but I wasn’t sure it would happen. But it did!!! She even brought us goodies from Left Bank Patisserie! It was so great to see her!!!

Yay! Makaela is here!!!



Three bikes at the Menlo Store!

She had started in Pe El around 11:00. Of course, that meant she had to ride back. But, she rode with us for a couple miles to Willie Keil’s Grave. 

Through her work, she helped design this sign. 





The actual grave is up there. 

We hugged and said our “see you laters” (fingers are crossed she’ll meet up with us again…maybe in Oregon), and she headed back. 

We continued on the trail, but once again diverted to the road because we were tired of fighting our way through mud and tall grasses. I saw a woman running on the trail, and thought it can’t be too bad. We rode up (at a street crossing) and saw the trail was now back to improved gravel. Woo Hoo!

So much nicer!

We rode the rest of the way into Raymond, and then headed to South Bend. 



Doug liked the metal sculptures. 

The Helen Davis Memorial Park is just south of South Bend. There’s no water here, so we got everything dried out, and set up, then while Doug stayed with our stuff, I went back to town to get some water. 

So far, the weather is looking better. It would be nice to be out of rain for awhile. Today was tough, but made oh so much better by Makaela’s visit!


Odd sighting for today…a car parked on the trail. 






1 comment:

dmorgorg said...

I'm confused. I thought Tilmann went to Heike.