Saturday, June 18, 2022

(Temporary Backup) Day 8-The Last Day on the Coast

Once again, just as I was getting ready to fix my breakfast, it started to rain. Pro Meal Bar to the rescue! I actually started out the day in my poncho. I must say, in all the times I’ve ridden down the Coast, I’ve never had this much rain! 

We went over to see the Devil’s Churn, but the tide was out, so it wasn’t churning much. 

Devil’s Churn
Cooks Chasm and Spouting Horn were also not too active. 

Cooks Chasm and Spouting Horn

Since it continued to rain, I didn’t take any other photos until Heceta Head Lighthouse. When we pulled in, we parked under cover at the restroom building that is closed. It was handy. 

Staying dry as much as possible. 

We didn’t go all the way to the lighthouse, but enough to get a few view shots. 

The bridge leads directly into the tunnel. 

Heceta Head Lighthouse

The building in the distance is the Sea Lion Caves. 

We returned to the bikes and proceeded up to the bridge and the tunnel. There wasn’t too much traffic (one thing good about the rain) going through, but I’m always glad to get through that one. It’s uphill. I took my poncho off to go through the tunnel, and fortunately never had to put it back on. Just before the Sea Lion Caves, we could see them down on the rocks. 

Looking back to the lighthouse. 

Pelicans down there. 

A couple of sea lions

A bunch. How do they get so high up on the rocks?

Such a poser!

After descending from Heceta Head, we pulled into Darlingtonia Natural Site. This is where the carnivorous plants are. 



Odd looking…

While we were there, we met a woman named Carole. She is very interested in bike touring. We had a great time talking to her. 

We exchanged contact info. I told her if she had any questions, she could text me or email. I’ve no doubt she’ll be out touring soon. 

As we came into Florence, it was time to get more food. We stopped at Fred Meyer and stocked up. We’ve been trying to eat veggies as much as possible. They do, however, take up a lot of space in the panniers. 

I never ride my bike through Florence without stopping to eat at Mo’s. Today was no different. 

We had a delicious late lunch, then went across the street to BJs for ice cream. Then we took our full-belly selves the final 3 or 4 miles to Honeyman State Park. They are moving the H/B site to sites 3 & 5, putting in a fix-it station, and charging lockers. Unfortunately, it’s not done yet. 

There are two hikers here, Jackson (who grew up in Olympia!) and Happy Feet. They hiked about 20 miles. We saw them just before the tunnel at Heceta Head. They were hitching a ride through the tunnel and a little further to avoid the sketchy road walk. 

Since there is no guarantee of no rain tomorrow morning, we went out to the dunes this evening. 

Cleawox Lake



Way way over there, people were sand boarding down the dune. To the right, you can see the ocean. 

Wild strawberry

Tall shadows!

Back at the H/B site, we met DJ, the only other cyclist here. He is from Vancouver, WA. I told him I grew up there. He started in May at Big Bear Lake in California. He worked his way south to the border, then began heading north on the Coast. He’s almost done. 

Made one last stop at the restrooms, and just after we got into our tents, guess what! Yep, I’m sure you could guess by now that it started raining (of course it did!). At least it was sunny for half the day. Doug mentioned the fact that we have not had an entire day with no rain yet. 

Tomorrow is a short day with no side trips, as we start the Florence to Eugene Alternate Route. Due to distance between campsites, and elevation, we will only go 27 or so miles to a Cyclist Only camping at a church in Swisshome. I called ahead, and the woman told me it was fine. We’ll be in no rush in the morning. 













No comments: