Saturday, June 11, 2022

Day 1-And We’re Off…

…Like a herd of speeding turtles!

Currently sitting in my tent at RAINbow Falls State Park in the rain. Doug is also in his tent. 

We got on the road at about 7:45 this morning. 




It wasn’t raining when we left, but that didn’t last long. Got to really test out the new poncho! It did keep me dry, but having the hood up underneath my helmet is kind of like a sauna for my head! Still have the issue of not being able to see my Garmin, but I can tuck it behind, and kind of hold the poncho with my hands on the handlebar. At the last minute, this morning, I put on my leg warmers. I was glad I did. It wasn’t really that cold, but my legs never got hot either. 

We took the most direct route down 507 to Centralia, then Schueber Rd to Hwy 6. We thought about seeing if we could sneak onto the Willapa Hills Trail where they are working on the new bridge, but that was a no go. We just stayed on Hwy 6 to Bunker Creek Rd and Adna. 

At the grocery store in Adna, we sat at the picnic tables for some lunch. It had quit raining, so at least we had a dry lunch. 


Saw a guy roll in on a loaded touring bike. Of course, I went over to talk to him. His name was Shaun, and he’s from Southern California, doing a version of the Pacific Coast Route from Vancouver BC to San Diego. He is working his way to Portland to visit a friend, then heading back out to the Coast. It’s quite possible we will see him again. 

After lunch, we popped over to the Willapa Hills Trail. 

There’s the bikes!

It was starting to rain again, but not enough that I felt I should put my poncho back on. 

Doug just never took his rain gear off. 

At Ceres Hill Rd, the rain was picking up again. Back into the poncho. From there to Rainbow Falls, it rained steadily. I stopped to take this photo of the mud slide. 

The gravel was a little soft which mad for a slightly squirrelly ride on a very heavy bike. 

We pulled into Rainbow Falls just before 3:00. We are camped on the same site I always stay on here. We both got to set up our tents under the rain flys. Yay…oh, and it is less than fun setting up the tent with a poncho on…just sayin’. 

Overall, rain notwithstanding, it was a good day. No flatties, no crashies, no whammies, and we managed to stay in the bubble of safety!




No comments: