Wednesday, August 26, 2026

8/26-There Ya Go, I Did It!

The final day finally arrived. I didn’t really sleep that great because the 6 or so mosquitoes that were partying in my tent kept me awake. Finally, I had to shut it down and go on a murder spree.

For this final day, I got up at 6:30. My plan was to be on the trail by 8:00. Even chatting with Tommie (who, by the way, gave me breakfast too this morning), we were both packed up and ready to go right at 8:00. 




Wow, an actual canal boat on the canal!

Even though you might think I would just want to bomb my way to the end, I took time to go out to the Great Falls of the Potomac Overlook. While it’s no Niagara, it was pretty awesome. 
On the way out to the overlook


The Great Falls themselves

See the kayaker (red kayak)?he’s at the top.

Just shot out from that other channel

In the foam!

Getting out to do it again!

The trail surface was a bit more rocky for awhile. Wanda had no problems, but I could see where skinnier tires might not be so fun.
Cool covered bridge

Boardwalk

Fairly quieth

10 miles of the C&O to go!

Bit by bit I came closer to the end of the C&O in Georgetown. I started seeing the tops of buildings.I came to where I had to cross over the canal. Over the bridge, there were stairs. But, then I realized I didn’t go up the stairs, I came down around and under the bridge to continue on the other side of the canal. 
A little bit of singletrack to end the canal. 

I popped out in Georgetown. Did some more sly dog riding, then had to detour. I asked a guy how to get to the Washington Monument. He directed me to the Rock Creek Trail. I told him that was where I was supposed to go!
Rock Creek Trail along the river

Kennedy Center

My first view of my friend, the Washington Monument!

Nolan texted that he was at the monument. So was Paul. I kept making my way there following the route.


Getting really close now!!!

At last I could see Nolan doing a video of me! I waved and had an ear to ear grin on my face the whole way in!
There ya go! I made it!

Me and Paul

So happy my son could meet me!

Hugging my friend, the Washington Monument!
Not just a wall in the background

Making our way to our B&B

We are staying at a very nice Air B&B compliments of my son, Nolan. I showered , put laundry in, then we went to Eastern Market for lunch before taking the Metro back to the WA monument to meet Vivian and Ken finishing.

Yay Vivian and Ken!!!

Me, Paul, Vivian, and Ken!


Nolan found a place for dinner that was centrally located for all of us (well, to the bike shop for me). I rode stripped down Wanda to Silver Cycles. Nolan took the Metro, and met me there. I dropped off Wanda. They will box her up, then send me the dimensions and weight, which I will then send to Bike Flights. Bike flights will send me a pdf for the shipping label, then Wanda will be picked up and be on her way home. I have no idea what the timeline is for this process. It’s good I have other bikes.

After dropping off Wanda, Nolan and I walked to the restaurant. Vivian and Ken were already there. Paul showed up, and we had a wonderful celebratory dinner!
paul leaves tomorrow. Vivian and Ken on the 29th, same as me and Nolan. We may see Vivian and Ken again. Tomorrow, Nolan and I will get a duffle bag for my stuff, and then we are going to go to the zoo to see the pandas, and the baby elephant.

Today was a great day to finish a cross country ride! I’ll probably do some stats and reflections in another post.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Congratulations Colleen. Kim M

Donna Powers said...

Congratulations! I’ve enjoyed following along on your journey. I will be reading all your blogs again and taking notes for my and my hubby’s trip next year.

Anonymous said...

Just another fabulous cross country ride! You’re darned amazeballs, Ms Colleen!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. It was fun to read your accounts and see so many photos of the route. Rest up and reflect on your accomplishment. Crowell in MT

Benjamin Blair said...

You’re amazing!

Jeffrey Steltz said...

Congratulations Colleen!! What an accomplishment to have crossed the US on bicycle. It was a joy to follow your journey. Happy Dance!!