Sunday, December 24, 2023

12/24-Christmas Eve in Cochrane

With Alex needing to stay off her feet, Markus and I were entrusted with procuring the ingredients for our Christmas Eve dinner. We set off with the list. Since it was on the way, we stopped first at the Banco Estado so I could restock my supply of Chilean pesos. Next, we found the outdoor shop the guy at the restaurant told us about. The guy had one set of flat pedals. I bought them ($13). Those two tasks completed, we headed to the Supermercado. As we like to visit all the mercados in the towns we stay in, we stopped in to one that was on the way to the big one. It was pretty small. We knew the big one had a better selection, so we didn’t get anything there. We went around the corner to the big Supermercado. It was closed! What??? How were we supposed to get the ingredients for our Christmas dinner? We knew there were at least two other mercados. We went to the next one. Although small, it had a good selection of veggies, and even had good carrots! The only thing it didn’t have was huevos. The last mercado was on the way back home. They had huevos. With our backpacks and arms loaded down, we headed back to our luxurious cabaña. 
Here’s some photos of the cabaña. 





My room. 

Alex and Markus’ room. 

I FaceTimed with my grandkids, and also with my son, Dillon. Alex and Markus also FaceTimed with family. Technology makes it seem like we aren’t so far away. My grandkids, especially my granddaughter couldn’t quite wrap her head around the fact that it is summer here. When I showed her outside the cabaña, she said, “Whoa! The trees have leaves! Our trees only have sticks!” 

Alex made a great casserole for dinner! We thoroughly enjoyed it!

Look! We even have a Christmas tablecloth!


And now we are sitting by the fire listening to Christmas music. Later we may find a Christmas movie to watch on Netflix on the big screen TV (yeah, you may have noticed we are not roughing it here in Chile).

As for Alex’s toe, it’s getting better. The antibiotics are working. 

Merry Christmas to all of you who faithfully read my ramblings from Chile. We still have much adventure ahead that will take us into the New Year and a new country! For now, goodnight from Cochrane, Chile (do you think Santa will find us in Chile?).

Cochrane Christmas Spirit. 




 

No comments: