Tuesday, December 19, 2023

12/19-An Adventure in Failure, But a Happy Ending

…Well, not exactly failure, but not as planned. I think I mentioned that we want to do a tour of the “Marmol” tomorrow. I saw a review on Google saying not to book a kayak tour with the tour companies in town, but to go to Bahia Mansa where all the kayak tours go out from, and book directly with the family that the tour companies pay to keep their boats there. It was much cheaper. So, I looked it up. It was just 6.9kms to Bahia Mansa. I offered to ride Billy there today, and book the tour for tomorrow. 

The ride on the Carratera was hilly, but nothing we haven’t seen before. Besides, I wasn’t carrying anything on Billy. I got to the turn-off to Bahia Mansa. 

Hmmm…it’s a long way down to the water. 

I started down. At first it was steep, but rideable. I was looking at the descent through Alex’s eyes. Hmmm…could be tricky. Even with front suspension (which Alex and Markus don’t have, but they do have meatier tires), it was a little treacherous. Then I came to a really steep part. I chickened out, and walked down it. It was very loose rock and dirt. 

This wasn’t even the really steep part!

The views were nice.

I got back on, and rode more downhill. I came to another really steep part. It was at this point, I said to myself, “No more.” There was no way Alex and Markus would want to do this…I certainly didn’t want to do it again! I turned around, and started the slow slog back up to Ruta 7. There were some nice views. 

If you look closely, you can see three kayakers. 

And there are a couple of motorboats in this one. 

I finally made it back to the top. Then it was mostly downhill back to Puerto Rio Tranquilo. 

The views made up for the washboard road. 

I got back and broke the news to Alex and Markus that we would be booking a tour from town. We decided to do one of the motorboat tours as the kayak tours were really expensive. Plus, we would see more. We walked the two minutes down to where all the tour companies are located. We had already decided which one we would do. We booked it for 11:00am tomorrow. All we have to do is go back there tomorrow. No scary bike ride down the hill of death!

After booking the tour, we had some lunch, then strolled back to our cabaña. 

The old Catholic church. 

Explanation about the church. 

More statues

Do you see the ripple? It’s an optical illusion. The pavers are really flat. 

That mushroom looking thing is the Marmol. 

I’m so glad we are doing the boat tour tomorrow. I definitely don’t want to ride my bike to the Bahia Mansa again!




No comments: