Saturday, January 13, 2024

1/13-Seeing Friends and Booking a Tour

Last night we had a wonderful dinner at Pura Vida with Ally and Alex. 


We walked down from our lofty AirB&B up on the hill. It’s quite a walk. 

Gotta go all the way down. 

We could see these flamingoes out on the estuary (there were also a few swans). Tomorrow I might see if I can get closer. 

We are definitely on Argentina time. Most places are open in the morning until 1:00pm. Then they close until 7:00 or 7:30, when they reopen and are open late into the night. We walked back from dinner at 10:00pm. But, we had a great time. 

This morning, after a leisurely breakfast of huevos, pan, y ensalada de frutas, we headed back down the hill to see about booking a tour to the Perito Moreno Glacier, and meet up with Ally and Alex, and also Caroline! Matias and Camila are also in Calafate, but we haven’t seen them yet. 

The clouds look really flat here. 

The main drag of Calafate. 

We asked at one tour place, but we wanted to talk with Caroline, as she also wants to do a tour of the glacier. 

We went back to the same coffee shop we went to yesterday. We had lunch there, and met up with everyone, including a friend of Alex and Ally’s who is working on an estancia outside of town. It was great!

I really wanted to do laundry, and had brought my dirty clothes with me. I found a laundry service place not far from the coffee shop. I dropped it off, and I can pick it up at 8:30 tonight. 

We stopped for some Helados. I had calafate (a berry) and chocolate patagónico. It was delicious. 


We did a bit more shopping. I got myself a couple of empanadas for dinner tonight. Also did a little resupply. Found tortillas again, but haven’t found much for dinners. We’ll check tomorrow if there is another supermercado with more selection. Then we took a taxi back to our place. Markus arranged for the taxi to pick me up to go get my laundry this evening. 

The wind is quite something here! We’ve made a change in route, leaving here. We are going to head to the Atlantic side of Argentina to Rio Gallegos. It’s a pretty big city in Patagonia (80,000). The way there should be mostly tailwinds, and mostly flat. It’ll take us about 4 days to get there. We should be able to make some big kilometers if we truly have a tailwind. 

That’s about it for today. 



No comments: