Wednesday, January 3, 2024

1/2-That Was Some Climbing!

Ah, the rain returned. We’ve had a good stretch with no rain, but this morning it rained. We were mostly able to break camp in between rain showers, but the tents were wet. 

The four of us set out just before 9:00…as usual. The camping place we saw the poster for did exist. Might have had to share it we these fellas. 

Our spot by the river was better…and free!

The road was a rollercoaster for the first few kilometers. Then we started climbing. We had three pretty steep climbs today. In just 35kms, we gained 912m of elevation. 

If you look across to the far mountain, you can see our final climb of the day. We tried to tell ourselves it wasn’t as bad as it looked, but in the end, it was. 

The road we came down before the last climb. 

Very nice shelter where we ate lunch. 

It spit rain on and off, but not long enough to put rain gear on, until lunchtime. We were about halfway up the second long climb at the shelter. It started to rain in earnest. I was soaking wet from sweating. I changed into a dry shirt because I was cold. I also put my rain gear on, even though I knew I’d be too hot doing the last climbs. 

In the middle of the last climb, there was a short downhill. After that, the road took a steep upturn. I looked ahead and could see Caroline walking. I made it as far as I could, but then I gave up and pushed the rest of the way. I haven’t had to push for days. 





I can only stop for photos if there is a relatively flat spot. Otherwise, I have a hard time getting started again. 

The last It! of the final climb. 

Now downhill and blue sky!

We came to a Refugio Ciclista. It’s just a building with a fireplace, and there’s an outhouse. 

We’ll have a fire tonight. 

We do have views of two glaciers!

The other one. 

This bird flew around for awhile, then landed on this tree. While it was sitting there, it graced us with a feather. 

Caroline and my tents. Not a bad location!

Caroline had gotten water at a waterfall a short distance back. Markus took the dromedary bags and got water for the rest of us. 

Tomorrow we will arrive in Villa O’Higgins!


No comments: